Lupus Community
possible lupus?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

possible lupus?

Not realy a question..  my daughter is 23 almost 24..has been ill off and on for about 3 years or more.  Has been diagnosed with massive vitamin D deficiency..has had gall bladder and appendix removed, all within one year. Never acute, yet chronic..said scar tissue was on organs due to inflamation (inflammation)...now her ankles have been giving her problems..said there is bone swelling,..although no know damage to her ankle..now her back is in pain...she has ulcers in her mouth and she is always sick.  She catches every cold, flu..etc...I fear she has lupus..or something along that line..but the drs. dont seem to see the whole picture... and think she is a hypchondriac....what can I do?  I asked her dr. to refer her to a rhuemotologist..but he said not til she had physical therapy on her ankle  and then he would do extensive blood work?  why cant he do the blood work while she does therapy?  I am angry and confused at diagnosis!!

351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your daughter. If she has mouth ulcers and ankle pain then Crohn’s should be ruled out. Other than this vitamin D deficiency could be the culprit as well.
I also agree with you that the ankle pain should be investigated in lines of arthritis, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, sprain, nerve impingement etc.
The American College of Rheumatology (ACR) has identified 11 characteristics that should be present for diagnosis of SLE or lupus and it is important that at least 4 of the characteristics should be present for a confirmed diagnosis. This includes serositis (pleurisy or pericardiatis, since you had bronchial infection, ask your doctor to check for pleurisy or inflammation of lining of lung), mouth ulcer, low WBC or leucopenia/anemia (hemolytic)/thrombocytopenia/lymphopenia, arthritis, kidney involvement, high ANA, finding of Smith Antibody (Anti-Smith)/ dsDNA/ antiphospholipid antibodies (anticardiolipin immunoglobulin G [IgG] or immunoglobulin M [IgM] or lupus anticoagulant), neurological features like seizures and psychosis, discoid rash and malar rash. Lupus can be diagnosed for your daughter if she has four of these features. If it is possible for you please try and get another opinion. Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lupus Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank