Lupus Community
spasms and pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

spasms and pain

I read other's post about leg cramps and pain. I get spasms at any given time of the day and night, my fingers curl under and it is so painful. I have been getting leg cramps/spasms that are painful and I can't stand up. I do have nerve damage and loss of mucsel in both my legs, had an EMG and have had epidural injection procedures (which seems to have just made the leg cramps and spasms worse). I have been Dx with S1 and L5 never damage. I don't know if these spasms are related to that, or to lupus or the other health issues I have had. I do know since the last bad spasms the other night, I am sore. I can't stand without losing balance. Anyone have any answers, or has this been happening to anyone else, and has the doctor said it was lupus related. I take Vit D supplements as well. It has gone beyond annoying, now it has interfered with my daily life on a whold new level. All comments are welcome.
Hi!
Yes, spasm and cramps/pain in leg can be related to L5-S1 nerve damage, lupus, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause. MRI of spine, and nerve conduction velocity studies should be done. It is difficult to diagnose on net. Please discuss these possibilities with your treating doctor. Take care!