Lupus Community
speckled and homogeneous pattern

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

speckled and homogeneous pattern

My tests results show titre 1:320(hi) and speckled and homogenous pattern consistant with connective tissue disease,scleroderma,and sjogrens sicca complex.Ive been diagnosed with fibro and cfs,but I think I have lupus.Can someone weigh in?
There are 11 criteria for a lupus dx.  You must have at least 4 of the 11 to recieve a dx.

They are:
1. malar rash over cheeks (butterfly rash)
2. discoid rash, red raised patches
3. photosensitivity - reaction to sunlight, resulting in skin rash
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis
6. serositis - inflamation (inflammation) of the lining of the lung or heart
7. reanl disorder - excessive protein in urine and/or cellular casts
8. neurologic disorder - seizures, or psychosis
9. anemia or low white blood countor lymphopenia or low platelet count
10. positive ANA
11. positive anti-DNA or anti-Sm, or antiphospholipid antibody or false pos. syphilis test

Other symptoms are:
fever
abdominal pain
chest pain
shortness of breath
blood in urine
hair falling out
fatigue
muscle pain and weakness
dizziness
poor memory
headaches
poor circulation in fingers and toes
tingling in extremities
diarrhea
bloating
nausea
weight loss
abdominal pain
blurred vision
depression
palpitations
raynauds (where fingers turn white when cold)
intollerance to cold
sore throat
...to name a few

Keep in mind that fibromyalgia, CFS, MS and lymes disease also have similar symptoms.  

speckled and homogenous pattern -
*Speckled is seen in SLE and numerous other autoimmune disorders, as well as healthy individuals.
*Homogenous is seen primarily in SLE, but also in other illnesses as well and in older adults.  

320 is considered "not too significant"  Autoimmune diseases are dx from symptoms as well as lab results.  So the question is, does your symptoms match up?  

I suggest you spend time inthe sun prior to your next ANA lab.  IF you have lupus, it will cause your ANA to spike - thus excelerating a dx.  
thanx for the input,kinda already looked up all the symptoms and stuff.Going for another mri-neurologist seen lesions on first one.Was just wondering what speckled was.
I know you can have a elevated ANA w/ MS, in low titers.  Speckled is the most common pattern seen, even in healthy people.  Actually, I just read an article that tested people who didn't have any symtpoms to see what % of the general public had an elevated ANA.  Most (who had elevated ANA) had the speckled pattern.  And there were more drs. and nurses who had high ANAs than people who were not in the medical field.  So the recommendation was to raise the titer # of speckled to 1:360.  ANythingover 360 is considered positive.  While homogeneous - anything over 40 is considered positive.  Just thought that was interesting.
just checkin out my messages,on my way out to visit the dr again.thanx Karajo-see ya!
How did you dr. visit go?

I love your name.  Don't know if it's your real name.  My husband wanted to name our 1st born Matilda, but it didn't go with our last name.  Too many tttts.  

Kara
no not my real name.*waltzing matilda*-I love that song.yeh,go see my endocrinologist on Tues.then I find out hes sending me to another doc 3 hours away-havent even got results bac from 2nd mri,havent had my emg yet.goofball.I get so tired of these docs I wanna scream.Oh well,God is patient with me so I guess I will be too.well,its 6:00,guess Ill go back ta bed! nite nite.
I was just reading your posts, and I was wondering how you were doing? Did you ever find out if you had Fibro or Lupus?