what does a positive ANA mean
recently had blood work for possible chrones, lupus and thyroid disease and tested postive for ANA. My doctor told me that it was not lupus but could possibly be rheumatoriad arthritis. How do I know for sure that it's not lupus because both RA and Lupus will show a positive ANA  
Did you just get a positinve ANA or did you also get a titre?  What about a speckle pattern?  Did the bloodwork ordered also include a RA factor?  

An ANA is positive in people who have autoimmune conditions... but also cancer, lung diseases,  gastrointestinal diseases, hormonal diseases, blood diseases, skin diseases, and in elderly people or people with a family history of rheumatic disease. ANAs are actually found in about 5% of the normal population. In addition, up to 25% of CFS patients have a positive ANA titer and 29.3% of fibromyalgia patients.

The ANA test is just one piece of the puzzle. Your physician should order other tests and get your clinical history to find out your diagnosis.

i have a positive elevated ANA level.. and joint pain, (RA and most lupus symptoms) but the ANA is the only thing that shows up in my blood.. its very frustrating.

Have you seen a rheumatologist and/or had X-Rays dones ?