Lupus Community
what does a positive ANA mean
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

what does a positive ANA mean

recently had blood work for possible chrones, lupus and thyroid disease and tested postive for ANA. My doctor told me that it was not lupus but could possibly be rheumatoriad arthritis. How do I know for sure that it's not lupus because both RA and Lupus will show a positive ANA  
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Did you just get a positinve ANA or did you also get a titre?  What about a speckle pattern?  Did the bloodwork ordered also include a RA factor?  
Blank

An ANA is positive in people who have autoimmune conditions... but also cancer, lung diseases,  gastrointestinal diseases, hormonal diseases, blood diseases, skin diseases, and in elderly people or people with a family history of rheumatic disease. ANAs are actually found in about 5% of the normal population. In addition, up to 25% of CFS patients have a positive ANA titer and 29.3% of fibromyalgia patients.

The ANA test is just one piece of the puzzle. Your physician should order other tests and get your clinical history to find out your diagnosis.

Blank
i have a positive elevated ANA level.. and joint pain, (RA and most lupus symptoms) but the ANA is the only thing that shows up in my blood.. its very frustrating.
Blank

Have you seen a rheumatologist and/or had X-Rays dones ?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lupus Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...