Lupus Community
what does this mean ?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

what does this mean ?

Iv'e had lupus for 17 yrs.  I have had a few serious incidents including a liver inflamation (inflammation), which I was told was lupus related.  Recently I have seen a new rheumy after moving from Florida back to Michigan where I'm from. My previous Mi Dr. is too far away so I'm seeing somone new.  A complete battery of labs were done and I was told they were very extensive.  Nothing showed lupus at this time.  I'm confused does that happen sometimes?  Do test only show lupus during a flare or activity?  Iv'e had several previous tests over the yrs. that have had postive ANA's along with Ro & La amongst them.  My new Dr. did get reports from my previous Mi Dr. so he has something to go on.  I guess I don't understand how everything shows Negative now.  Any thoughts ?
Tags: lupus
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
Yes, it can happen at times that you have anegative test especially with dsDNA antibodies. While high antidsDNA antibodies confirm lupus, they may or may not be present during less active stage. So if antidsDNA is negative or equivocal, this test should be repeated after a gap of 2-3 weeks.
Specked ANA and presence of dsDNA antibodies confirms lupus to a great extent. If the ANA staining test is equivocal, the speckled ANA should be studied further to confirm lupus diagnosis. Anti-SM subtype of speckled ANA almost confirms lupus diagnosis, as it is rarely present in other disorders. Anti-Ro and Anti-Sm together almost confirm diagnosis. So if RO and Sm are positive then diagnosis is almost confirmed. Please discuss with the present rheumatologist. Take care!
Blank
434278_tn?1324709825
Don't you hate that when you change docs and all of the sudden your lab looks wonderful...even if you don't, and they say well maybe you don't.  You definitely have something autoimmune going on.  Hopefully your rhemy will figures things out and get you back on the program.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lupus Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...