Lyme Disease Community
A tale of two ticks

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

A tale of two ticks

I found some interesting reading wherein different species of ticks were tested to see if they were vectors of Lyme.  The common dog tick's immune system quickly eliminates Borrelia spirochetes.  So those of you with Lyme who were bitten by dog ticks, most likely got the Lyme from somewhere else.  The dog ticks can however carry other coinfections, and some that many LLMDs don't consider, like helminths, and an as of yet unidentified organism that is similar to toxoplasma gondi.
Thanks, bob.  I got Ehrlichiosis from a dog tick the size of a big peppercorn, and it's good to know that Lyme isn't lurking.
Thanks Bob, always like to hear the news, since my vision is bad for researching or reading a lot myself.
Good info. Now we just need our esteemed researchers to figure out how we can benefit from that part of the dog tick's immune system!
I'm working on bottling and selling that factor Ricobord!  Not really, but I did have that thought as I read the article.  It explains why a dog tick found on a borrelia positive wild turkey in CA was borrelia negative.

In other news, It appears I was successful at killing the feline strongyloides, even found a way around the reinfect cycle they have, but I feel they brought something with them.  I'm going to get tested for toxoplasma gondi soon, there's a good possibility they are the source of the "Lyme twitch".  Cats are not high on my list of favorite aminals.  I'm shooing them away from my new house and don't go near the house of my cousin who has the large litter box!
Good to hear you're making progress, Bob! -- I too stay far far away from cats.  Ewwww.
I just saw an article recently that Toxoplasma gondii could be a problem for some Lyme patients, adding to neurological symptoms. They are thinking that many people have it lurking in their bodies where it isn't a problem....until Lyme comes along and upsets the immune system.

Is testing for it reliable?  I haven't been around cats much at all in the last 18 years, so it is highly unlikley I have it.
Testing doesn't appear to be too reliable, it uses IGG & IGM, so a person would have to be producing antibodies.  We all know about false negatives from that idea.