Lyme Disease Community
A year later

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

A year later

In June of last year, I was bitten by a tick while on a training exercise in North Carolina.  The tick was pulled out by a medic but they left the head in.  A few days later 24-72 hours approximately I removed the reminents of the ticks head.  About 2-3 days following a small little red cirlce around the area began to enlarge until it was just smaller than the circumfrance of a baseball.  I went to the doctors who said it was a classic lymes disease rash, and they put me on Doxycycline.  Just less than a week later, I got the only symptoms I had.  I couldn't move almost without thinking about it first, extremely fatigued where I would try to run or do a cardio workout and would just stop and walk, slight soar throat/cough.  The extreme fatigue which I've NEVER felt in my life before was the biggest issue.  I was given a blood test the day I first went to get the Doxycycline and about a week after that another blood test.  Both were negative for Lymes disease.
A.  Is it common to have negative results?\
B.  If i had or have Lymes disease, did the Doxycycline pretty much kill it or will it re emerge later in life.
C.  Are those common symptoms of it, even about a week after the bite and for only 3-4 days?
D.  Do I need to get anothe blood test to confirm or deny this even a year later or does it not matter anymore?
E.  Is NC known for prevalence or lack of Lymes disease cases?

Your story is a common one, unfortunately!  Most doctors are simply in the dark when it comes to LD.  Testing is also unreliable. You probably got an ELISA done at a commercial lab, and even though you had a tick bite it's not unheard of to get a negative test result..

Read all you can about this disease, and why testing can leave us undiagnosed! If you were in the care of a doctor that we call Lyme Literate Medical Doctor,,,they would have treated you longer than a few weeks.

No, a week of Doxy more than likely did nothing more than begin to kill spirochetes. This very smart bacteria converts into a cyst form that gets into the cell! Your symptoms are common ones. yes, LD is found in NC...Another blood test? Only one thing gives you LD and that's a tick, and you did have a bulls eye rash. Many of us never see/get the rash. Again, even a LLMD might retest you, but they understand that having a tick bite tells them one thing-LD. The CDC states that lyme is a clinical diagnosis,,,,and that's because of the lousy testing. another words, a skilled doctor considers your symptoms along with the fact that you had a tick bite---Bingo.

IMO, find a specialist. a LLMD and get treated asap! lymenetdotorg is a site that offers help, guidance and information of Tick-Borne Diseases...click on Flash Discussions-then Medical Questions and post your question. There is also a Seeking a Doctor section which can offer LLMD's in your state.
Here's another good site: ilads.org This site is made up of Lyme doctors, they explain testing and treatment of lyme.

best to you,
tory