Lyme Disease Community
B12 Injections

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

B12 Injections

My doctor wants me to give myself B12 injections twice a week for energy. I am not thrilled about giving myself injections to say the very least. Has anyone here tried B12 injections? Does it help?
I take sublingual B12, tablets that melt under the tongue.  Each one is (acc. to the bottle) 8,333% (!) of the min. daily requirement.  I take *4* of them a day.  Heh.

My current, nonLLMD doc asked if I was interested in injections, and I said, not really, since I'm doing well as is.  I did a little reading on it, and it sounds like B12 injections were popular years ago, but then some docs decided it was a placebo effect, and it fell out of favor but seems to be coming back lately.

To my understanding, you can't OD on B vitamins generally because they are water soluble and just wash the extra out of your system, and my doc didn't tell me my 30,000%+ of the MDR is dangerous or even bad.

I don't know the advantage of injection over oral, except that anything going through the digestive system gets chewed up by digestive juices, stomach acid, etc., so straight into the muscle may well be more effective.  

About giving yourself shots, diabetics do it everyday and they are okay...that said, I'd be nervous too, so maybe you could go to your doc's office and have the nurse coach you through it a couple of times just so you get the hang of it.  Training wheels.
I give myself weekly B12 injections without any problems at all... The needle is so small you don't even really feel it... Does it help?  Absolutely it does... I've also done the tablets under the tongue and I think the shots are a lot better... I have severe fatigue from MS and this is the only thing that has seemed to really help me... Good luck to you...

Carol
Thank you both for your response. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I just really hate needles and you think I would be use to them by now with all the blood I had drawn over the years, but I will never get use to it I guess. Once I get all the supplies, a person from my LLMD's office will coach me.