Lyme Disease Community
Calcium levels?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Calcium levels?

My calcium levels are high in both blood test results for the last month and I am wondering if anyone has experienced this as a result of treating Lyme?  My previous blood test was 5+ years ago so I don't have a good idea how long it might have been creeping up. I am hoping maybe it's a temporary elevation from who knows what to do with my Lyme treatment... if not then I have to pursue the parathyroid surgery route and I'm just so not up to adding that to the pile right now.
Thanks!
What does your Lyme doc say about increased Ca as a result of treatment with whatever you are on?  You could try the Physicians Desk Reference (PDR) manual and see if the meds you are on can induce increased calcium ... also read the prescription flyer that came from the pharmacy to see if it mentions increased Ca as a side effect ...  and let us know what you find out!  (It's always something, eh.)  Hang in there --
My calcium level is high and my doctor said we'll just keep an eye on it. I've been treating for almost 2 years
Well hey, good to hear from you!  Hope you're doing well.

Does your doc have a reason or theory about the cause of higher calcium levels in someone with Lyme?  Would be interested to know.

More later --  J
My mother went through this (high calcium) for 8 years, and I went through the resolution of it with her; this is another of those topics I never wanted to know anything about but I had to learn a lot.

One of the (if not the) foremost parathyroid experts in the world practices in Tampa, and you need to read his website - please!!  Google "parathyroid" with a "*******" and you will find it.  Do not wait and watch - the other health issues caused by long term high calcium are serious.  Apologies if this comes across strongly, but high calcium and parathyroid disease are 2 more subjects that most doctors (including most endocrinologists) really don't know much about, and they should.  I've met Dr. Norman and he has his quirks but he truly knows his stuff.

My LLMD noted it was not a usual side effect of Lyme (why he pointed it out to me).  I would also be interested if your doc shared any theories about causes related to Lyme.

Unless - thank you, Jackie - I can find that one of my supplements may cause this short term...  The other test needed is the PTH (parathyroid hormone) which I am hoping to persuade my LLMD to add to my next blood test.

The asterisks are medhelps rendition of a dot followed by a com.  If this gets bleeped then just search on parathyroid.  It should come up