Lyme Disease Community
Can Lyme disease return

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Can Lyme disease return

I had lyme disease 25 years ago. I was put on a high dosage of medicine and have not had ant symptoms until lately. Every time I move my arm my elbows crack and lately I have been having some severe back pain. Does anyone think that this could be related to the lyme disease?  Does Lyme disease return?
Not sure if it is Lyme but you could have been reinfected since many of us never remember a rash or bite.

If not treated long enough, the Lyme could have gone into "hibernation" and a stressor could have brought it out again.

Mine was in hibernation 18 years and a stressor brought mine out full force. My now adult kids remember the bite when they were toddlers. I didn't have any memory of it.

If you had an LLMD, he could rule Lyme in or out at this time.
Ditto what mojogal says above --

If you can email to

contact   [at]    ILADS   [dot]    org

and tell them where you are located and how far you can travel (you're in Jersey? then tell them if you can get to NYC, for example) and they can send you names of docs who are members of ILADS (a voluntary group of docs who take a more progressive view of Lyme and its co-infections ... short for International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society).

There is no test for a doc to join ILADS, and some of them I hear are a little off the wall in their treatment approach, but it's a really good start.  If you get an oddball, then go to another one.

Don't recall if any one explained above, but LLMD is not a title or degree, but instead patient slang for an MD who thinks more progressive thoughts about Lyme and its co-infections.  Some LLMDs are internists, some are immunologists, some are GPs, etc.  It's the doc that counts, not the medical specialty.
There's no 'test' but there are some requirements.

Membership in ILADS is explained on the ILADS site under Membership.

There are several different types. I was considering membership years back (I fulfilled one of the categories and also had two members of ILADS to recommend me, a necessity) but my then-husband decided the yearly fees weren't possible. Foolishly I dropped the idea.  

It's easy to join and I know several people who aren't doctors or healthcare professionals who belong.