Lyme Disease Community
Can it be dormant or hard to detect?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Can it be dormant or hard to detect?

I'm not familiar with Lyme at all... but started wondering after seeing one note on here. I had a tick bite about 12 y ago, most likely in Luxemburg when I spent a night in a tent there. I found the tick later the night after and just pulled it off. I developed a blue-reddish rash around the bite. I just wonder if infection can be hidden, can have very mild latent like presence for few years? I have now for some years after this been having problems with colon (diagnosed with either colitis or crons but not a typical distribution of either one so they aren't sure which it is yet) .... and with irregular heart beating. Does this ring a bell for anyone?
Yes you can get those symptoms with Lyme and you got the rash so many of us dont get, do you have other symptoms , irregular heart beat( palpitation) is definatly one symptom all seem to get , aching limbs, lightheadedness, redrimmed eyes ,dry eyes,anxiety, cold hands,rashes that just break out for no reason, intolerance to heat or cold, There are many lists if you browse this forum you will be able to check them out..and yes it can go into Remission in my opinion especially if you take anti biotics now and again.If you are lucky you may be able to get a Lyme Literate Doctor and get it diagnosed, then put onto a course or two of anti biotics. Good luck.. others will tell you more ..
Welcome.  That does sound suspicious for lyme.  The bullseye can look like a bruise too.  Google lyme rashes and you can see.  The infection can go dormant or be mild initially then come out months or years later.
Yes, it can appear much later... I was fortunate I started to get sick right away.  However, I am still experiencing many symptoms of lyme after being treated.  My Dr. states it's post lyme..I don't think that.. I think like patsy said it goes dormant.  It really is nothing to fool around with.  I have had it only two years and I can from experience say it's nothing you want to live with the rest of your life.
Many doctors believe it is dormant in people and then a stressful event occurs (stress, sickness, emotional) and causes the immune system to suppress and then allow the Lyme bacteria to flourish. This can be the case for viruses also.
What ott70 described is what happened to me.  I was very sick for about 5 years.  It went into remission for 7.  I had surgery and it all hit again.