Lyme Disease Community
Changes in barometric pressure causing exacerbation of symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Does anyone else experience an exacerbation of symptoms when the weather changes?  I am bedridden when rain is near and it doesn't let up until the storm passes.

I've heard of one person who actually moved to avoid these changes.  I have written to her, but have yet to receive a reply.
i haven't been tested yet for lyme---we've been calling it fibromyalgia for years---but i know exactly what you mean about barometric changes causing more pain.  i can feel a weather change sometimes 3 days before it hits.   if i start hurting more than usual,  i can go look at the forcast---and usually there is a weather change predicted in the next few days.    the nurse at my orthoped's office tells me that it is not just good to bad weather changes that can bother you, but also bad to good weather changes----basically any air pressure change.

some days we get a hazy sky--not sure how else to describe it--it is sunny, and not really cloudy, but not a blue sky either---anyway, on days like that i get a low grade headache and it seems like there is nothing that i can take that will relieve it.   i get alot worse aching before an all out storm---but i can usually get relief with enough of my narcotics and my muscle relaxant.  i am never bedridden, though, because lying in bed makes my head hurt worse---i have to sit up for some reason.  i keep a heating pad on the back of my head and neck more often than not.  i've been needing it on my knees recently---do you know how hard it is to keep even an extra large heating pad wrapped around two knees??LOL!!

we've had a really weird spring and summer this year where i live---with what seems likes constant weather changes------it has been a rough spring and summer for me.
I so understand what you are talking about.  My husband calls me his weather-wife.  If I say "take an umbrella" he will take one and watch for rain.  Same if I say it will clear up.

It would behoove you to get tested by a reliable lab.  My doctor used Igene-X.  They are great and I was able to apply for a grant to get 75% of it reimbursed.  Talk about a Godsend!
I would have to say no, that I don't notice this effect in myself, but the barometer doesn't seem to change much here on the coast, tho maybe it's my imagination that it doesn't.  The fronts move through, but not the same way they did in the Midwest when you can feel the storm coming.

Nevertheless, when my head seemed locked up at some level when I was very much in the middle of Lyme, a little bit of decongestant seemed to take care of it.  The newer kinds didn't seem to work much, so I would stick with the old style pseudoephedrine that you now have to show an ID to buy now, like Sudafed.  Just a thought.  

But then Dani's hubby would have to watch the weather reports.  Everything in life is a trade-off.  :)
When I get the headaches I have to take Pseudo-ephedrine too.  It's the only thing that takes that nagging headache away.  

Today I noticed it's getting a bit cooler, then it dawned on me that my pain has increased in the early mornings.  It's true that any pressure change causes pain for us.  Ugh!  Lyme disease *****!!!

Thanks for responding you two.  I really appreciate being able to talk to someone who is experiencing the same type of symptoms.  It helps me to not over-react to my own.  

God bless you both.
Thank you for your kind words, dear.  You take care, and don't give up!  Let us know how you're doing, okay?
YES!  The weather TOTALLY has an effect.  I am a walking talking human weather-predictor!