Lyme Disease Community
Debilitating Fatigue...

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Debilitating Fatigue...

The last 3 days have been unbearable!  I've NEVER had fatigue like this (even during pregnancy and after giving birth).  I literally could sleep for days if possible.  I've always had the body fatigue and heaviness, but this is that plus the sleepy fatigue.  Also my neck and shoulders are killing me.  I feel like I'm not going to make it some days.  Just feel very ill.  

Does lyme cause this kind of debilitating fatigue?  
How do you deal with it?
It has been my experience that the intensity of fatigue can vary.  If my limbs are just heavy/clumsy feeling, that is a more mild case.  Sometimes I have trouble moving around my apartment without feeling "wiped out."  

When I wake up from a decent night's sleep and feel exhausted, that is usually my first clue if I am going to have a bad fatigue day.  If I wake up feeling at least somewhat rested, I'm more optimistic.

I think Lyme can cause a range of fatigue levels.  While I complain, I'm sure others have it worse than me.  It is a serious symptom to deal with.

As for how I deal, I drink coffee in the morning, and it sometimes helps a bit, other times not so much.  On good days, I exercise.  In general, I try to eat well and have regular blood work done by my doc. to look out for vitamin levels and complete blood count (since I've been on abx for many months, it's important to be monitored).

I also switched to a part time work schedule in Dec.  A blow to my career, but hopefully a boost to my health.  

In general, though it is disappointing, I need to "budget" my energy.  I decide what it most important to me on a given day.  The rest, I let go and/or ask for help with.

I know what you mean by "budgeting" your energy.   I had a melt down today cause I physically can't do what I used to.   I used to be constantly on the go and very outgoing.  Now I'm lucky if I get a load of laundry done.  I'm getting very frustrated and I just can't keep up.  My house is a disaster, the laundry is piled to the ceiling, and my kids are bored to tears.  I can't do it all anymore.  Luckily my husband got home early today so I can go to bed.   When he walked in the door I just started bawling.  There are days like today when I feel I can't do it.  Plus I have two small children so I have no choice but to get up and try to function.

Is there ever going to be relief from these symptoms?  Does it go away with treatment?   I can't even imagine feeling like this for the rest of my life.

Have you been officially diagnosed with lyme disease yet ? Because if you have CFS... you should pace yourself and probably not exercise. If you do exercise, just don't push it.

I can also recommend some supplements that helps give me energy if you'd like.
No I haven't been officially dx'd yet.  Yes please can you recommend some supplements for the energy....  I can use any help I can get!

Thank you so much!!
I have had very bad fatigue - every thing was becoming too much effort

after I started 'doxy' I was in bed - mostly asleep for 4 days - didn't want to eat - drank mostly water.

thankfully the fatigue 'episodes' do pass.

I think it is lyme depression as well as fatigue - maybe it is our bodies making us rest - after all that is when the body can do it,s own repair work.

What I've used and/or recommend to help with my severe fatigue:

***** Transfer Factor (google and you will find plenty of information on it, especially from ProHealth.com) This product is not only great for energy, but the immune system as well. Since it appears that you have an underlying infection, you want to BOOST your immune system and not suppress it.

***** Bragg's raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. I know it sounds strange, but it worked for me for many months. Just add a Tablesppon to your drinking water. During those months it worked, I had a boost of energy. My husband now swears by it, even though he's healthy.

***** Healthy Curb with NTFactor  --- just started using it and it helps with energy and also by restoring mitochondrial function.

Thanks PlateletGal.  I'm going to look into these Energy boosters!!
Are you feeling any better?  Everything comes and goes or gets replaced with some other symptom.  
No, I'm not feeling much better... the last several days have been terrible.  I am so completely exausted and weak.  You are so right about everything comes and goes and gets replaced with some other symptom.  It definately keeps you on your toes... you never know what each day will bring.  I woke up this morning feeling wiped out.  Feels like I haven't slept in weeks.  My armpits hurt, and my eye and ears are achy.  Along side with my usual pain.  

Thank you for asking!  How are you feeling these days?

Have a good day.  The sun is shining so I'm going to try with all my might to get out and get some fresh air and sun.  
I've been busy and had a lot of stress lately.  My arms and legs are stiff and weak and I'm sore all over.  I'm trying to take it as easy as possible.  Thanks for asking.