Lyme Disease Community
Does LymeDisease affect the brains neurotransmitters?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Does Lyme Disease cause chemical imbalances in the brain? And does it affect the brains neurotransmitters? I think I have had lyme disease for years possibly but am going to see the LLMD doctor in a week. I have been feeling depressed lately also. Is it possible lyme disease is lowering my neurotransmitters?
From what I have read, Lyme causes inflammation of the brain, affecting memory and thought processing, as well as affecting the endocrine systems, which affects mood and emotions.  A double whammy.  I have experienced it myself, as have others here.

Glad you are going to see an LLMD.  Be sure to tell him/her about your depressed feelings.  Because Lyme and coinfections affect the brain and the endocrine system, that means they can also affect thyroid, and low thyroid can feel like depression.  I had never thought of it that way, but I am now on thyroid supplements and it really makes a difference.  Whether I would have had low thyroid even without Lyme+, it's very possible, but I wouldn't have thought of it in the context of Lyme.

I'm not medically trained, so your MD is the one to talk to.  Let us know what you find out!  Best wishes --
Has anyone experienced what looks like stabbed by a fork marks, with the area around it darker, like the beginning of the bulls' eye? We are pretty sure I was infected by 3 in the nymph stage, not full grown ticks. The nymphs are size of a pin head and are either beige or clear and can transmit the disease. I had three dots on my shin for almost 2 weeks before they started to enlarge and almost form a bull's eye. Then I realized the strange neurological sensations, low fever and general "yucky" feeling I had been experiencing made sense and were no doubt Lyme. My medical practitioner just shakes his hed and says I definately had the symptoms ( and didn't realize it doesn't have to be a full blown bull's eye)
Are you being treated with antibiotics?

The presentation of Lyme is all over the place, ticks seen/no ticks seen, rash/no rash, symptoms all over the place.  This situation is the legacy of the strict parameters established by the CDC and the IDSA (Infectious Disease Society of America), under which the bar was intentionally set very high to qualify as a confirmed case of Lyme -- the reason being that this was for tracking the spread of Lyme, and was never supposed to be used for diagnosis.  When tracking the spread of epidemiology, you want to be very sure you don't have any false positives included, that is, that any illnesses that are not absolutely positively Lyme need to be excluded for scientific strictness.

Unfortunately, that very high epidemiological standard has been adopted for diagnostic purposes as well, which means that many very ill people are exlcuded when they should not be.  Therefore MDs get hung up on the shape, color and size of rashes -- when a goodly number of Lyme patients never had a rash at all, or it was on the scalp where it wasn't seen.  But we really, really, really have Lyme!  I am one of those.  And I never saw the tick either ... you are right, they are so tiny that they are very easy to miss.

You don't say whether your doc is treating you or not, or if s/he has refused due to absence or weirdness of your rash.  If that is the case, then I suggest you get yourself to a Lyme specialist for diagnosis and possible treatment.

You also should likely be tested for co-infections carried by Lyme ticks.  Those need different tests and different treatment from Lyme.  Babesiosis, bartonella, and some others -- they are awful in their own right.

No one here is medically trained, so don't rely on us except for information and nonprofessional opinions.

Good luck, let us know what you do and how you do.