Lyme Disease Community
Does anyone go from hot to cold a lot??

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Does anyone go from hot to cold a lot??

Okay, maybe it's my age (40) even though my OB-GYN didn't think so....but I am either freezing or burning up all the time.  I am waking up freezing or in a sweat all the time too.  I can be freezing in sweats and sweating in shorts so it doesn't seem to matter what I wear.  

My BIL, who just graduated medical school, saw me huddled under a blanket and asked if that is part of my neurological problem????  I said, "no"....but I don't really know what to make of it.
Having had menopause as well as having Lyme, I can contribute my experience:

I'm a good five years into menopause, and I had hot flashes during the great switcheroo.  In my experience, there's no 'cold flash' that comes along with a 'hot flash' -- if it's hormonal, you're either feeling okay or you're hot and sweaty, and nothing else.  I still take a tiny amount of hormone pills now, and my dr keeps saying 'we don't REALLY know if any amount is safe' so every so often I go off them just to see what happens, and I go back to having night sweats and hot flashes, which are like stepping out the door into a hot summer day for a few minutes, and then going back inside.  So no 'cold flashes', and I think my menopause experience is pretty common.  Therefore I know when I am hormonally stable, which I always am (except when I stop the hormone pills to see what happens).

As to the Lyme side of things, when my bugs are active, I get hot AND cold feelings alternating, which sounds like what you are having.  The hot feelings are not unlike hot flashes, but they are then quickly followed by chills.  I am off Lyme meds currently and it's interesting to see the effect.  I just went through a couple of days of having moderate Lyme flares and the hot/cold aspect was definitely there.  When hot I even got pink in the face, a butterfly rash, with bloodshot eyes.  When chilly, I felt like I was standing in a meat locker without a coat.

Lyme hijacks a lot of body systems for its own amusement and survival, including the body temperature mechanism, which I think is hooked into thyroid operation.  So that would make sense.