Lyme Disease Community
Does lyme come back without being bitten again?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

If you have had lyme, say three to four years ago- and it WAS succesfully treated, can it come back? does lyme stay dormant in your body and show itself from time to time?
Welcome to M/H Lyme --

You ask good questions, which unfortunately don't have easy or short answers.

The medical community is in a war over Lyme and what constitutes 'successsful treatment'.  Mainstream/traditional docs treat with 2-4 weeks of antibiotics and believe that to be full, effective, complete (and therefore successful) treatment.  That works for an earache, but the bacteria that cause Lyme have particular characteristics that enable them to survive the standard short course of antibiotics, but mainstream (nonLyme) docs do not agree with that.

So when you say your Lyme infection was 'successfully treated', the questions that must first be answered are:  (1) what were you treated with, (2) for how long, and (3) what other diseases were you tested for that are also carried by ~half the Lyme ticks (and need separate treatment).

Lyme can indeed lie dormant and rise up again later, often on a recognizable cycle of about 1x month, but not always.  I personally seem to have had a low level, not very debilitating case of Lyme for several years that just left me a little tired and made the soles of my feet sore in the mornings ... then I got bit again and became very very ill.  It's different for everyone.

By definition, if Lyme is 'show[ing] itself from time to time', it was not 'successfully treated.'  Sorry.  
Yes. Lyme goes into cyst form and can hide in your cells. If you were taking anti-biotics to treat your lyme they would either go into cyst form or eventually they just become immune to any anti-biotic you take. I do have an alternative option for you which has worked wonders for me. Its a specific colloidal silver that in only 3 weeks I am better now then I have been in 30 years.