Lyme Disease Community
Does this look like a bullseye?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Does this look like a bullseye?

Was in NJ this past weekend and had a tick bite on Saturday.  Didn't find the tick until the evening and it was on there probably at least 11 hours.  Actually it looks like there was two but only one tick was still on in the evening.  Where that tick was developed a large red rash yesterday (Monday) and this morning (Tuesday) looks like this

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o767/anonymous4488/tick%20bite/063_zpscb432ae1.jpg

For reference, this was it yesterday afternoon

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o767/anonymous4488/tick%20bite/062_zpsfb9b1eec.jpg

Feel fine other than the rash which is a little warm, occasionally slightly itchy but not painful.  

I really don't want to have to call my Dr as I have an appt at the end of next month anyways.
Welcome to MedHelp Lyme --

Let's review:  

--You were in NJ, which is Lyme country
--It's spring, and the ticks are a-blooming
--You were outdoors doing sporty things where there are trees and grass
--You found a tick attached to you
--You have a rash that is getting larger

Why take the chance that it's NOT Lyme?  I can't imagine anyone posting here who has danced with the Lyme bug would suggest you wait a few weeks to see a doc.

Time is very important in this situation -- waiting just gives the infection time to settle in, and it is VERY hard to get rid of.  

===>  Go to the doc today and get meds (probably doxycycline) and take them as directed until they are all gone.

Can't say it strongly enough.  Go see a doc-in-a-box if you can't get in to see your own doc.  Don't wait.  Really.
Went ahead and made an appt for tomorrow afternoon.  It seems to look more like a bullseye now maybe?

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o767/anonymous4488/tick%20bite/064_zps97b2ea9c.jpg
Agree completely with Jackie. I have lived with it over 20 years and wish I knew about Lyme back then.

Go to a doctor now.
Close enough for government work.  

Many of us never see a tick or a rash -- I never did -- and the rashes are not always bullseye-shaped.  If you see a tick and a rash, it's nice to have evidence, but as the saying goes:

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  Meaning you can still have it even if you don't have complete evidence.  The risk of NOT treating Lyme early is huge compared to the risk of taking the abx for a few weeks.

You have evidence.  Get thee to a doc!
Well ended up swinging by an urgent care so that I wouldn't have to rearrange my schedule to go to the appt tomorrow.  She's fairly certain it is early Lyme, so I have doxy for the next 10 days.  Now to just stomach the doxy...
Good for you!  I've not had the pleasure of a course of doxy, but I hope it treats you kindly.

The medical profession as a whole is very stuck on requiring a rash and that a tick be attached for at least X hours before anyone will consider Lyme, but nobody told the ticks what the rules are.  

Let us know how you do, okay?
Glad u decided to go.  This disease is nothing to mess with.
If you don't feel right after the doxy is done, then don't delay in seeing a Lyme specialist.  Doxy  works on Lyme, but other tickborne infections (and there are several, all different) need different meds.

Keep us posted --
Ten days of Doxy is NOT ENOUGH!!!  Even the IDSA says to give 3 weeks of Doxy, which is controversial.  Some people still develop late stage Lyme later on with only 3 weeks worth.  Most "Lyme Literate Medical Doctors" give more than three weeks.

Do whatever you need to do to get a longer course of Doxy. If this doc won't give it to you longer, then find another one as soon as possible.  And take every single pill (without calcium rich foods).  Believe me, after a few years of hell with Lyme, Bartonella, and Babesia, you DO NOT want to let this go.
Rico's right.  It was too late for me to take doxy by the time I knew I was sick, so I didn't focus in your message on the proposed length of treatment.  It's why I only play doctor online.

Hmm, I may have to ask my regular Dr about this.  We don't have a lot of lyme in our area, so perhaps the urgent care Dr isn't as familiar with it?
Chances are the urgent care doctor as well as other mainstream docs don't know a lot about it.
So now the new challenge is trying to stomach the doxy.  I'm taking it with pepto and zofran now and it is a little easier but not pleasant!  Thanks again to everybody's advice so far.  
I don't see where you are located, but Lyme is pretty much everywhere ... it's just that the docs don't believe it because they don't know how to diagnose it.  

Your first post said you were in NJ, but you don't say where you live.  Getting checked out by a Lyme-wise doc is a good idea, and that's what I would do, but glad you got on the doxy.  Time is important in a new Lyme infection.

Keep us posted!
May I add my experience/suggestions/opinions? (This is mostly repeating what others have said-----but it DOES bear repeating!)

First things first though-----I've  taken doxy many times and a slight to moderate nausea always come along with the first weeks of it. (Some have nausea worse, but I was lucky.)

For me---- sipping on ginger tea helped. Or sucking on candied ginger. (yum). The weirdest thing that helped the most, as it has done for others, was eating Salt and Vinegar potato chips!!!!!! Kid  you not! But, of course, if you have to restrict salt because of high blood pressure  or other health reasons------ don't follow my suggestion. Peppermint tea might help.

The nausea went away after a few weeks.

And ALWAYS take doxy with food!!! At least that's what a huge amount of users  have said, and it was true for me.

Taking doxy will make you  sunburn! I hope the docs warned you. Even though I never burned before  in my life, while on doxy I did. Wearing a long sleeved shirt/blouse, long pants and glove might be your fashion statement while on doxy. I learned that wearing gloves was necessary---- esp. when driving. Sunlight through a window can still burn!

I read that you're taking Pepto Bismo with doxy. That's a no-no as is any food/supplement that contains calcium.

"Using bismuth subsalicylate together with doxycycline may decrease the effects of doxycycline. Administration of doxycycline and bismuth subsalicylate should be separated by two to three hours. "
http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/doxycycline-with-pepto-bismol-maximum-strength-940-0-391-4929.html

Cheese contains calcium. Ice cream too. Tums has a lot of calcium.

NJ has LOTS of Lyme. If your doctor says not------ maybe he hasn't learned to read. (That was snark, folks)

All  caps to make sure it's emphazied:

TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!!! You need to find a doctor who will rx more-----

10 DAYS OF DOXY IS NO WHERE NEAR ENOUGH IF YOU HAVE LYME!!!

You had a rash! And ticks attached to you! It doesn't get any more suspicious than that! Just a rash alone around a tick bite is enough to PROVE Lyme, even by CDC standards!

Please, please get your hands on more doxy. There are ways, if you can't find an enlightened doctor to rx  more.

This disease is SERIOUS. And it's been 'disappeared' by most doctors and certainly by the IDSA.

Adolescents with acne will receive more doxy than you were given for this disease! I'm sorry I'm ranting on and on----- but it has to be said. I hope  you can find a doctor to help you.
Well said!!

(I particularly liked the line:  "Adolescents with acne will receive more doxy than you were given for this disease!")
Wouldn't you know it that a Dr recommended the pepto to try and keep the Doxy down. Was also told that 10 days should be long enough since it was caught pretty early and was just the rash with no other symptoms...
I'm located in the southeast, so not as big of Lyme country as up north.  I feel totally normal except for the intense nausea with taking the doxy.
I did find this journal article on the length of treatment and outcomes
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20070237
Good, glad you are getting treatment!  

I would say tho about your comment that the SE is 'not as big of Lyme country as up north.'  Beg to differ.  That is the kind of comment a nonLLMD would make, based on absolutely nothing.  Lyme is everywhere, and any doc who doesn't understand that is suspect in my book.

You did good getting yourself to the doc really fast, and the doc did good by treating you promptly.  That is the model that mainstream medicine's approach to Lyme is based on ... but many, many of us never see a tick or a rash (I never did), and the nonLLMDs don't recognized that once Lyme settles in, it is difficult to get rid of because of peculiar characteristics of Lyme

If, when your treatment course is finished, you don't feel like you did in real life before you got bitten, then please please please don't ignore it, and find another doc to test and treat you more. Wishing you well, and hope you will keep posting and let us know how you do, okay?  

You done good!!  Best wishes --
This is from a NC site:

"The Tick-Borne Infections Council of North Carolina, Inc. is a non-profit organization formed to improve the recognition, treatment, control, and understanding of tick-borne diseases in North Carolina. Visit the pages of our website to learn more about ticks in North Carolina and about tick infections."

http://www.tic-nc.org/
There's a list of the diseases 'known' in the SE. (And how many aren't known, yet?)

I found this interesting because of the pics you showed of your rash.
"STARI (Southern Tick Associated Rash Illness)"

"The rash may be solid red, usually circular or oval, rather than a “bull’s eye.”

I don't know where you live in the SE---- but believe me, ticks don't recognize State borders!

If people don't think that the SE has tick diseases then why did a certain doctor ( who has moved to Wash. DC) have such a thriving business there?