Lyme Disease Community
Dr. Oz Talks about Lyme disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Dr. Oz Talks about Lyme disease

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/avoid-bite-lyme-disease

This is from just a few days ago.  I like the segment because he states that the symptoms do become serious and perplexing if Lyme is undiagnosed for months/years.  He doesn't perpetuate the myth that "Lyme is hard to get, easy to diagnose."

The segment is largely based on preventing Lyme disease, which I think he does successfully by making clear that you are at risk regardless of your location, that it is easy to miss the tick, and that you could get very sick from this.  

He avoids the topic of treatment, which I honestly find refreshing as that is often what gets the extremist from either side up in arms.  He suggests that people may be walking around with Lyme disease and not know it, an opinion I have in common with him!
It sounds like a good start.  I hope he does Part 2, about treatment.
At this time, there are no plans for a follow-up episode.  One can interpret this to be a very safe move on the part of the show, as I think people get the most up in arms about opinions on treatment.  

Overall I applaud the effort.  By stating the severity, he likely reached some people in the audience who can now turn to other resources for further details.  

Any popular media that dispels the myth that Lyme is a rheumatic disease that only people in CT get is doing a service, IMO.  While I don't watch Dr. Oz., I think his show is pretty popular.

I'm really thankful that this is getting attention. I live just north of Atlanta, Ga in the suburbs and yes we have deer in our yards. I was bitten 3 yrs ago this July. A small tick was on my forehead and was so small that I thought it was a mole. After scratching it off in about 4 or 5 days..I got the "bulls-eye". Within a short time..went to the doc and told him my experience. Was immediately tested for Lyme and given 2 weeks of antibiotics. Then started having severe joint pain in my legs and my neck became so stiff and painful that I couldn't turn it. Couldn't move my arms over my head and was just so tired and hurt all over...severe joint pains.. Couldn't even bend over to pick something off the floor. Went back to the doc several more times and about 6 weeks of antibiotics. As I finished the antibiotics...all pain came back. Doc said I had several bands on the Lyme test which tested a false positive...whatever that means..I was getting worse by the day..
Went to a rheumatologist and was immediately diagnosed with PMR which is a form of rheumatism. Was on prednisone for 2yrs and felt somewhat normal....after my ced rate dropped to normal...came off meds. Finally I feel good with no joint pain...but do have the fatigue... Can't tell me that wasn't LYME?
Welcome to MedHelp Lyme+.

Glad you are feeling better, but sorry to hear you are still fatigued.  At some point if it doesn't resolve, you may want to consult an LLMD to confirm that your previous treatment was enough to kick the infection.  Lyme can take longer to cure than many MDs are willing to treat, esp. MDs in certain specialties such as rheumatology.

Also consider that 2 years of steroids (prednisone) would have suppressed your immune system rather than kill the bacteria, so that's something to keep in mind also.

I'm not medically trained, so don't rely on what I say, but thought I'd mention it.

Again, welcome, and glad you are feeling better overall.  
But I thought there was no Lyme in Georgia?  (Just kidding.  I know that isn't true, but I bet you heard it a number of times!)

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better these days, but I ditto JackieCalifornia's concern over your prolonged use of steroids.  If you were clear of your infection, then it wouldn't be an issue.  But use of steroids is contradicted by Lyme disease due to the influence of steroids against the immune system.  

If your fatigue doesn't let up, I'd second the advice to consult an LLMD about your situation.
This is what I read on ILADS regarding steroids and Lyme:

"More evidence has accumulated indicating the severe detrimental effects of the concurrent use of immunosuppressants including steroids in the patient with active B. burgdorferi infection. Never give steroids or any other immunosuppressant to any patient who may even remotely be suffering from Lyme, or serious, permanent damage may result, especially if given for anything greater than a short course. If immunosuppressive therapy is absolutely necessary, then potent antibiotic treatment should begin at least 48 hours prior to the immunosuppressants."

Hope it helps.
Catherine,

Duchess70 is correct that ILADS (Intl Lyme and Associated Disease Society) takes a strong stand (except in special circumstances) against the use of steroids in a Lyme patient.

However, please don't be too distressed by that, because although you are fatigued as you describe, it sounds like you are holding up all right.  Fatigue is a common symptom for anyone with Lyme, and if that is the worst of your current symptoms, then it sounds like your body is holding up okay.

What I'm saying is:  don't panic at having taken steroids.  When I am not feeling well and Lyme & Co. are having their way with me, I often feel quite vulnerable and fragile, and hearing that I have taken medications that could seriously harm would frighten and upset me when I am feeling so fragile.

Maybe you're a lot tougher than I am, tho.  :)  Everyone is different, and the steroids may not have harmed you significantly or at all.  None of us here can know.  

I would urge you, tho, to find an LLMD (an MD who specializes in Lyme treatment, whether an internist, an infectious disease MD, a GP, etc -- or a trained DO, etc.) and have an evaluation.  It can't hurt, and I would do it if I were in your situation.

The infectious disease MDs and rheumatologists long ago staked out Lyme as their territory, and they have not really updated their understanding of or approach to Lyme and other tick diseases for a long time.  Their position is generally that Lyme+ is hard to get and easy to cure.  I imagine there are some exceptions to that rule of thumb, but if you need help locating an LLMD, let us know.  

(And if you see an LLMD, take copies of your old test results if you can, but be careful about telling your previous MDs you are going to see an LLMD -- I have had MDs tell me to, in effect, not come back because I am also seeing an LLMD.  So-called mainstream MDs often view LLMDs as quacks and want nothing to do with patients who see LLMDs, I assume for liability reasons.)

Take care!  Jackie