Lyme Disease Community
EIA accurate test?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

EIA accurate test?

If tested negative on EIA, how accuarte is that for Lymes? I know there is a lot of controversy out there. Does this mean there is no way I would have it, even chronic? Also for the IGNEX testing, how do you get a doctor to agree to spin the blood for you?
Welcome --

I'm not familiar with the use of EIA in Lyme diagnosis, but being in Wisconsin, you are in a Lyme hot spot (tho Lyme is everywhere these days).

Lyme is tricky to diagnose for several reasons, and the Lyme ticks often carry other diseases that need separate testing and treatment.  The best thing to do is find a Lyme specialist for a work up.

If you email to contact [at] ilads [dot [org] and tell them your geographic area, I understand that they will email you back with names of Lyme specialists nearby.

You can also dig around online by searching

lyme wisconsin

or something similar and see what local patient groups you find.  In some areas, Lyme docs don't want to be identified as such, so they keep a very low profile.  

Best wishes -- let us know how you do or if you need further help finding a doc.
I believe the EIA is the ELISA test.  Doctors who treat Lyme say a significant percentage of people with Lyme test negative on it.  I have heard stats as high as 30-40% but no one really knows for sure.  I tested negative on it, even when I had Lyme.

I figured out that I had Lyme for 6 years before I got tested.  People with symptoms over a year are more likely to test negative because Lyme is immunosuppressive. Unfortunately, most doctors were taught otherwise.

Regarding spinning the blood sample... For me, I had to take it to a specific in-network lab location where they had the equipment.  Because my primary authorized the IGeneX tests, the lab handled the blood draw and 'ship out' with no questions asked. My insurance paid for the draw, but I had to pay for the blood tests.  Afterwards, my insurance reimbursed me for about 2/3 of the cost of the tests.  

It is not so much that you need the doctor to spin the sample for you, but that you need him/her to authorize the tests. I convinced mine by telling her that I was paying for it myself and I didn't care about the cost. She could see how incredibly sick I was (she told me to go to the ER) and so she signed it on the spot, even though she didn't know IGeneX.

I was CDC negative on my IGeneX Western Blot, but I did show two Borrelia specific bands on my IgM, which was enough, with all my symptoms, to convince my LLMD I had Lyme.  No infectious Disease doctor would ever have diagnosed me with my test results. They want to see 5 out of 10 bands on the IgG WB, but I only had 1.  I am getting better with antibiotics, so clearly I have Lyme.

If your doctor refuses to authorize the IgeneX tests, find a walk in clinic with a doctor who will.