Erythema migrans - High WBC???
How often it's possible to find high WBC in a patient with acute Lyme disease (had erythema migrans, no other symptoms)? WBC=20.000. (Ht, RBC, PLT are normal.)
Thanks.

I'm not medically trained, so I'm just guessing here ... but I know people who have had diagnosed Lyme but had few outward symptoms except for moderate fatigue, because their immune systems were suppressing the infection.

Based on that anecdotal experience, I would think it quite possible for someone (who had the rash and is diagnosed with Lyme) to have no other symptoms except elevated white blood cell count.

What are the results of the ELISA and Western blot tests?  As flawed as they are, they can be helpful.
Thanks from Greece. The result of the Elisa was 0.74 and considered negative,so they did not proceed to the next test, because the limit is 0.75 (so angry with them!!!!!!). My blood test was normal except from high WBC. I am on Doxy from the day the rash appeared, my wife is a doctor and she had taken immediate act (thank God) but she is also confused with the high WBC. No other symptom (no fever, no fatique,nothing)

Thank you again and sorry for my poor English !
George,Greece.
George,

Your English is excellent -- much better than my Ellinika!  (Eucharisto; endaxi; Syntagma; souvlaki; drachma ... )

The website ILADS [dot] org is the main organization of progressive-thinking Lyme MDs, and you and your wife may find helpful information there.  

Under the tab 'About Lyme', you will find Dr Burrascano's diagnostic hints and treatment guidelines, with other good information.  

Best wishes!
1-11-2010     WBC 20.800 (6 days from the appearance of Erythema Migrans, 6 days on Doxy)

12-11-2010    WBC 11.000 (17 days on doxy)

I am not a doctor but I think early LYME can elevate WBC, in some cases.

Hope these imformations are helpfull for other people.
My best wishes to all members !
Eucharisto, Georgios!

I think you are right about WBC going up, because the body is fighting the Lyme bacterial infection.
If it's Lyme, I think you caught it soon enough. I think you will be better, but if symptoms return, you may need more treatment in my opinion.

I haven't heard of somebody having a white count that high from Lyme, but I guess you can say your immune system is doing something about it. Perhaps you got some strange co-infection as well.

Yes, Lyme can elevate your WBC, I believe, but that would be a good sign because your body is still trying to attack the bacteria! Once your immune system is depressed, is when you have more trouble. Your Elisa is suspect. Otherwise, there is great information by the above individuals.