I called my lyme dr and asked if getting the flu vaccine and the H1N1 vaccine was safe. She said NO. The risk is great for a relapse and she has strongly advised me against getting even just the H1N1. I am concerned. What if I get it, Could it not be worse than lyme recurrance? I am torn on what to do, Has anyone else gotten the vaccine? any recurrance. Please offer your opinions-thanks!
I got the flu shot and I didn't feel good after, but no huge difference. I don't know how long I've had Lyme really though, so I have nothing to really compare it to. I don't usually feel bad, but I was a slight bit worse afterward, coincidence? I don't know. I have heard of over 10 deaths from the vaccine of H1N1, so I will probably decline to get it, myself.
I know of an LLMD who doesn't think much of the swine flu vaccine.
I was already planning to skip it.
This is awfully early for the flu, but maybe it will go through the population and be done early too.
I think I read that deaths in those taking the new vaccine were mostly in people with severe underlying conditions. We have lots of chronically ill people now who live years longer than they would have not so long ago, and they are particular susceptible to something like the flu, so that may be part of a perception of increased mortality. Dunno.
CFIDS / M.E. and fibromyalgia patients risk relapse if we get the flu shot. Anyhow... this is what I posted last year on the subject... it includes what the CFS / fibro experts were saying on the subject :
I just pray that none of us here get the Swine flu. Its horrible not being able to rely on safe vaccinations and especially when you have an immune illness. I have to agonize over this every year, but I know that I cannot tolerate some vaccinations and haven't since I was a child (many years before I had CFS). I don't think many people understand the situation that we face.... only our physicians do.
Just adding some more information i received from my lyme dr. No seasonal or H1N1 flu shot or mist for me. And since we, lyme patients, are more at risk it is strongly suggested that my husband and two girls get the flu shot since it is not the live vaccine, as in the flu mist. we are taking her advice as she has not steered us wrong yet. Hoping this info will help everyone.
It's a risk/benefit we all must weigh. I'm not getting it. There was a tragic story in my local news about a very healthy 26 yo women who developed dystonia after a seasonal flu shot. They are calling it a "one in a million" situation, but it added to my existing concerns about what a flu vaccine could cause.
I don't think I'm at particularly high-risk (other than a cross-country flight this weekend, I hate the air on planes!).
I received the seasonal flu shot and within hours experienced two days of the "mini flu". I can't say how I reacted Lyme-wise since another factor had caused a relapse several weeks earlier. I would hate to have full-blown flu and Lyme at the same time!
Well, we live in Maryland and I have been searching for the Thimerosol free H1N1 shot for my girls, 5 and 8 and cannot locate it. I have called local health depts, OBGyn offices, etc. I even called Baltimore, no luck. I would travel hours to get this shot for my girls if needed. Even the local teachers that are pregnant cannot locate this shot. The school nurse has been great and understands our dilemma. She called me Thurs to let me know that they are administering the H1N1 vaccines, and that shots will have Thimerosol, on Monday(26th) in our elementary school and wanted to call me so that I would have time to consider my decision. As of today, we have made the decision to have them administer the Flu Mist rather than the Flu Shot. This decision comes with great concern and I just cannot wrap my head around the idea that the thimerosol free shot is not readily available for high risk families. If we wait and miss the school clinic, there is a chance the girls may not be able to get the shot in the coming weeks as there is great shortage in our area. As for my health, I have been beefing up our family with vitamin c, vitamin d and I will be using the airborne tablets starting tonight. I have an appt with my specialist Tuesday and will get an IV infusion of vitamins, etc to help fight any exposure to this flu. As this decision weighs heavily on my husband and myself this seems to be the safest path for our girls. It is a known fact that there is toxic mercury in the shot, whether the amount is ok or not - that is not a chance I am willing to take. What is the unknown is how sick I may get, if at all. I am also praying our girls do not have any reactions to the mist. My dr does not agree as I have finally reached a good point in my health, but it is our decision. I will keep all of you updated on how our girls handle the mist and any reactions any of us get, so that I can maybe help inform others in making this difficult decision. Please keep us in your prayers. Take Care.
So far so good on the FluMist. Both girls received on Tuesday Oct. 27, have had no reactions, no fever, no runny noses. I do check them each morning and each evening for any noticible changes in temperature. For me, I have been extremely tired and achy this week. I am assuming a coincidence, I have been pulling some long work hours over the last few weeks. I have no other symptoms to make me think it is a reaction from their mist "germs". No obvious Lyme reoccurances. As a family we are contantly washing our hands and have sanitizer in appropriate places. The most difficult part is in taking the added precautions, I have not been able to kiss and hug my girls as much usual..but thats okay, we will wait just few more days and then we will go back to normal...until their second dose:) I will continue to update during this time-I hope this information helps all of you out there.
Hi, Just happened to notice your posting. I do not recommend getting a flu vaccine. I thought that my lyme disease had gone away since I had been symptom free for months, and after I got the fly shot this past fall my lyme symptoms came raging right back. I think that the shot stressed my immune system and caused me to relapse, and there is absolutely no way I will get another flu shot again in the future. It's just too coincidental that I felt sick as soon as I got the shot. It has been 5 months since I had the flu shot, and I am just now feeling back to normal. I'm convinced that the flu vaccine triggered my symptoms. Hope this helps.
I got the flu shot on Sept. 15th 2013 at 11:30 a.m. By 3:00 a.m. the following day, had severe sore throat and nasal congestion. No better the following day. My recommendation is absolutely do not get this shot.
I don't get the seasonal flu vaccine shots. Not because I don't believe in vaccines---- I think there are many vaccines that have helped us in many ways.
Someone brought up thimerosol------If you want to avoid thimerolsol in your flu vaccine------have your doctor use the single vial/one use kind.
From the CDC:
"Since seasonal influenza vaccine is produced in large quantities for annual immunization campaigns, some of the vaccine is produced in multi-dose vials, and contains thimerosal to safeguard against possible contamination of the vial once it is opened.
The single-dose units are made without thimerosal as a preservative because they are intended to be opened and used only once. Additionally, the live-attenuated version of the vaccine (the nasal spray vaccine), is produced in single-dose units and does not contain thimerosal."
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.