Lyme Disease Community
Has my Lyme's come back?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Has my Lyme's come back?

A blood test a year ago confirmed without a doubt that I had Lyme's. Dr said I had had it at least 3 months. He prescribed antibiotics for a month and I felt better, physically, however my finance was dying in the hospital at the time and I couldn't get there as often as I wanted due to the pain and stiffness and tiredness I felt. I remember waking up one night, before I was diagnosed, and went to get up to go to the bathroom but couldn't move my lower body. I was temporarily paraylized. Scarey. Very scarey. I didn't put 2 and 2 together at the time, however, my dog"s hind legs, many years ago, became paraylized and found out he had Lymes. Both my dogs were then treated with antibiotics and were fine, I think, and it was recommended by my vet for me to have a series of shots to prevent Lyme's, which I did. I found out years later that they pulled the human preventive drug off the market and no one could tell me why. I never saw a rash/ring. Now, not only do my knees feel the same as they did then, but my neck, which is most troubling and incapacitating. I cannot move it and if I do by accident, or when I sleep, it is extremely painful. I have a constant headache, what seems to be sinus problems ( I have had 4 bloody noses this week. I've never had a bloody nose and I am 56), a toothache which encompasses all of my teeth, mouth sores, ringing in my ears, a sense of not being here and lightheadedness and I was diagnosed with chronic depression years ago for which I take medication. It has intensified my old injury in my lower back and afftects all my joints in the same spot on both sides. Is this Lyme's that never went away? Or do I have a combination of several conditions, sinusitis, herniated disks in my neck, bad teeth, RA. I don't have insurance and cannot afford to go to my doctor.
Hi, so sorry you are sick again. We are here to help with our own experiences and knowledge.
I am only 6 months into treatment so still pretty ill. Others will give you more details but I can tell you that one month of treatment usually doesn't cure the illness. Chances are you do still have it.  It could be a combination of two things.
I am sorry for your financial problems, I was in the same boat and applied for social security disability which I got pretty fast and with that you get Medicare as your insurance. You could also apply for Medicaid which will insure you. I had to do that until the disability came through.
The other thing I did was call a doctor, tell him/her how ill you are and see if they would take a payment plan.
I hope this will help in some way.
Keep us posted and feel better.
It does indeed sound like Lyme. A month does not always cure it, especially if you are under great stress, which compromises the immune system.  Assuming you do have it, you need to get on antibiotics as soon as possible. Sell something if necessary to pay for a doctor's visit as it will only get worse and take longer to treat. You will need months of abx, not just another 4 weeks.  You do not want to wait until you are debilitated.

You may have to call around to find a Lyme sympathetic doctor who is willing to treat it for more than 4 weeks.
Ou might also want to get tested for Bartonella. It is an insect borne disease that can mimic RA and also cause neurological symptoms, especially with Lyme at the same time. A lab called IGeneX does a much better job of finding Bartonella than most other labs.
Thanks for replying. I was and still am under tremendous stress. When I was diagnosed, my finacee was admitted to the hospital and died 3 weeks later. I was kicked out of his condo and lived in a motel with my dog for 6 weeks. My son was subsequently admitted to a psych hospital with suicidal tendencies. He's living with me now and live isn't easy. I am going to go to the emergency room next week cause they will take Medicaid. I'm glad I have more info on what to say and demand. I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks for replying. I am on Medicaid and plan an emergency room visit next week when I get money to put gas in my car. I have also recently applied for disability. Did you get approved first time based upon Lyme? I put that as well as my other illnesses and was told almost everyone (unless your dying) is denied first time. Now that my suspicions are echoed by you and others, I will know what to say when I get to the hospital.
I was approved first time with Lyme and depression and very fast. The depression was from the Lyme. I had been bit at that time 15 years before. Through the years got progressively worse.
The nice thing is they give you a lump sum of money to cover the time you couldn't work, so for me it was several years.
Good luck. Keep us posted!
Thanks for the encouraging news. I do have other issues that have been amplified by Lyme so hopefully I will be approved, quickly. I'm wondering if my dog was suffering from Lyme at the time of his passing. For 2 years before, he had trouble walking and the vet put him on pain medication. I don't remember exactly why and given his age, I think the vet determined it was arthritis. I never had a blood test for him. I couldn't afford it. I feel bad now. I will keep you informed. Thanks again.
I did want to mention that a doctor and/or counselor has to know your diagnoses because they will be sent forms to fill lot.
Good luck!