Lyme Disease Community
Heat Intolerance & Herxing

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Heat Intolerance & Herxing

Hi All,

I used my far infrared sauna yesterday afternoon.  I seemed to tolerate it fine, however, I think I might be having a herx reaction from it because I have been very fatigued all day today

Others have posted that they don't think they can do a sauna because of heat intolerance.  I'm just wondering if possibly the reactions people get to heat might actually be a herx reaction and a good sign that the heat is killing off bacteria?  I know that Lyme bacteria do not like heat...??

Would be interested to hear others thoughts on this.

Carrie
I had a really great chiro who was also into osteopathic and alternative treatments before I moved, and he told me that any number of things, including heat and massage, can trigger an immune response.  Of course, anything that triggers an immune response can cause a Herx.

I've experienced this myself, as once a deep tissue massage causes something that felt just like a Herx in me.  So I agree with your theory.  But I'm not sure it's always a "good sign."  I know my LLMD discourages doing anything that triggers too strong of a Herx, because Herxing itself is bad for you and difficult on the body.  He suggests that it is better to find a tolerable level of treatment.  I basically ignored that advice and blasted through the first nine months of my treatment taking higher doses of abx, but now when I start to get a bad Herx I pause my abx or back down on the dosages.

I know not all agree on this issue, some think that you need high doses to ever get better, while others go with the more "low and slow" approach.  Personally, now that I've "turned the corner" so to speak, I'm not willing to do anything that will throw me into a deep Herx.  

I have the same issues when I use a Jacuzzi.  Think about it, a jacuzzi raises your body temp above normal (around 101 deg) just like a body would do to a virus/bacteria.  I just look at it as getting better.
I have stabbing eye pain too.  I think it is Bartonella.  Can someone share their treatment for Bartonella?  What are your symptoms?  I have had the veins on the temple area of my head start to bulge.  
I told my LLMD that it seemed like I had a lot of symptoms for Bartonella.  My Igenex testing (the first round) did not show positive for that co-infection.  It did only for Echrilosis.  I asked my LLMD to retest for Bartonella on my first visit back to see him after starting ABX. I won't get the results until I see him next month.  It will be interesting to see if anything else turns up positive since starting ABX.