Lyme Disease Community
How long are Lymies typically on abx before they notice an improvement ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

How long are Lymies typically on abx before they notice an improvement in symptoms?

Hi, me. Haven't been here in probably a couple of months now. I don't have an official Lyme diagnosis; I've kind of stopped pursuing one (or any kind of diagnosis) for now and am just doing what I can to beef up my savings because recent family issues have made just saving up enough money to move out of this house more important than my health.

Anyway, enough crypticness. About a week ago, I woke up with an insanely sore throat, but I didn't think anything of it at first because I get sore throats that go away in a day or two all of the time. Then, a few hours later, I was dizzy, borderline disoriented, and freezing, so I scheduled an appointment with a new GP that just recently moved to the area. She looked at my throat and said, "Girllll, you've definitely got strep" because there was a big white patch in the back of my throat. However, the strep culture came back negative, which is kind of peculiar, so she put me on amoxicillin and said that she would have to send a culture off to another lab if the patch didn't clear up to see what else it could be.

I mentioned the back story in case if anyone knows if this mystery throat illness could be indicative of Lyme, but anyway, I feel as though I'm more clear-headed than I've been in years since being on the abx for a few days. I just feel more normal and human than I've felt in quite some time, but I'm inclined to think that it's just all in my head since I know chronic Lyme takes months to years to clear up with abx (not that I know I have it). I mean, it's not a HUGE difference; I'm not ready to climb to the top of a mountain and shout, "I'm cured!" I just feel, like I said, a little more normal. A subtle but noticeable difference.
Yes, sore throat can be indicative of lyme, but not always. I get sore throat practically all the time. I had strap/strep infections several time as well.  

As for how long before lymie notice improvements. It varies. When I started Rocephin IV witha first dose, I'd feel so sick a few hours after the infusion, then several hours later, I'd felt better than I was prior to the infusion. Overall it became obvious about two weeks later but not to the point of "cured", but a noticeable difaference.

I didnt experience the same thing with doxycycline. So, for lymie it is a matter of finding the right medication.a

Since you are feeling better on it perhaps amoxicillin is takng care of low level chronic infection you may have, or its anti-inflammatory properties helps with whatever cause the inflammation in your body.  Of course, the question is what it is.
Hi, I didn't know I had Lyme for over 20 years. I was always sick but would feel better on and off  until 2 years ago when the Lyme and 2 co-infections came out big time.

It took me several months of abx to start noticing an improvement. I also had a sore throat, in fact my Dr said every gland in my body was swollen and still is most of the time. When the LLMD pushes on my stomach, it hurts, my massage therapist pointed out a gland in my arm was really swollen last week.

You might be how I was 20 years ago. Looking back now and realizing it was all Lyme, maybe they were periods of remission ? I am not sure.

Hard to say what's going on, but I think I'd go with the good news that if it's strep, it's being/been treated, and carry on dealing with the rest of life's issues, moving, etc. (hang on!).

Then when you are ready ($ and otherwise) revisit the Lyme possibilities.  Lyme can lurk, and a strong immune system can keep it in check for a very long time.  I would not assume that the current course of abx for your throat will fix Lyme, because Lyme doesn't go by those rules -- it's not like most bacteria and needs different abx and longer treatment, just like tuberculosis does (18 months minimum treatment, on particular meds).  

So I'd go with the progress on the current throat thing, but put on the 'to do' list an item to follow up with a Lyme doc when you have the time and the bandwidth.

Take care, sending you all good wishes -- these are indeed hard times, but we'll get through.
Sore throats are on the list of Lyme syptoms (symptoms).  It was one of my very first after I got bit, along with going completely hoarse.  Of course, it could also be from the numerous other bugs that cause sore throats...

I have heard of others with Lyme who started feeling better shortly after starting antibiotics.  Not everyone feels worse right away, or at all.  When I first got sick, I was really sick...fever, severe malaise, laryngitis, complete exhaustion & weakness. But I took some penicillin and started feeling better within a day. I was up and around the second day.  After a week, I just felt a little tired.  Of course I didn't realize that some of them had survived the antibiotic and gone into hiding.  

Lately, I am struggling with Babesia. I started treatment in early November, and I feel worse this week than I have in about 8-9 months.  I started a naturopathic biofilm buster a week ago, and I think that's why.  The improvement curve for tick borne disease is not a steady upward line by any means.

If you have the money for an IGeneX urine test, you might get one after you're done with your Amoxicillin.  Their test looks for DNA of the dead bacteria that the kidneys are filtering out.  It's a good test after some anti-Lyme meds.