How to Get A Doctor to Test for Lyme?
After numerous tests for underlying causes of my symptoms, I'm starting to seriously consider Lyme Disease as a possibility.  Several summers ago, I woke up with some type of bite mark on my arm.  It had a reddish-purplish ring around it, about the size of a soda can.  This was maybe 1 or 2 years ago.  

Any suggestions on how to ask my doctor to test me for Lyme?  I'm afraid that he won't know all of the most accurate tests or how to read them.  There are a few Lyme friendly doctors in Michigan, but they have waiting lists that are several months long.  I've heard that doctors will often dismiss or even laugh at those that suspect Lyme Disease. Has anyone sucessfully convinced a doctor to test for Lyme?

Thanks :)
Kelly  
I would just insist on it. Tell the doctor about the rash etc...and that you want a lyme test.  The first screening test is the ELISA which is not very accurate.  Another test is the western blot. I think the western blot from Igenex is the best.  You have to order the kit by phone.  If your doctor says no then I would get another doctor.
Please read my recent comment to nymom815. Read lyme websites information. Michigan dr.s should be more informed than many other states. Could try infectious specialist. When I have searched for dr.s in own state (AK) or other, I would go through my preferred dr. list for insurance. You can then find when they graduated, and what area of US they trained in. I go for most recent graduate trained in East US, or New England area.
Be advocate for yourself; if dr. dismisses your concerns - dismiss him/her as your dr. My best dr. is primarily alternative med, specialty in chronic fatigue syndrome. Medical conferences on this include lyme now as symptoms overlap.