Lyme Disease Community
Is Clarithromycin effective for Lyme?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Is Clarithromycin effective for Lyme?

A different doctor changed my prescription from Doxy to Clarithromycin, as I work outside but told her I am managing the sun well as I cover up thoroughly. Well I am not even working that much during meds as they drag me down so i can certainly get away with Doxy.

Here's the thing:  I am on 250 mgs 2x a day and it is less powerful on my body, but it's been stressful/sleepless for the 3 days I've been on this new drug and now I am wondering if I should wait it out a few days or call to get back on doxy today.

I also don't see a great proven rack record that Clarithromycin is effective in treating Lyme, whereas every website advocates 3-4 weeks of doxy as the cure for early stage lyme, which i have. I've been infected 9 days before treatment and have been on doxy for 2 weeks, and now Clarith for 3 days.

Oh, also, I heard it might be a good idea to swich meds on the bacteria so they don't grow an immunity to just one???

Does anyone have any insight or advise for me?

Thanks so much, this is confusing.

Ash
I took clarithromycine as an alternative in chronic Lyme  but  Doxy is preferred and if your bite was recent you won't need to be on it long enough (hopefully) to need to change meds. Biaxin could very well do the trick though.
Thank you! :)
Doxy is the usual approach when it's a very recent bite, as yours seems to be.  Biaxin is the same as clarithromycin,

Dr Burrascano's 'treatment guidelines' posted on the ILADS website say:  

"First-line drug therapies for Lyme disease may include (in alphabetical order): oral amoxicillin, azithromycin, cefuroxime, clarithromycin [=Biaxin], doxycycline, and tetracycline. These antibiotics have similar favorable results in comparative trials of early Lyme disease."

In any event, I would not delay in seeking medical care.  Good for you for jumping on the situation -- let us know what you do and how you do, okay?  Best wishes --

Thank you very much Jackie!  I will probably be safe with the clarith (and I know is also called biaxin, but thanks for pointing that out!). But tomorrow I will be talking with my doctor and thanks so much for this information, it is very helpful. It's just also been stressful the past few days so it's hard for me to think clearly about what I will do.  I'll give an update, tahnks again!! :)

Ash
We know how frustrating the brain fog is. I still have it , though much better then before.

Good luck to you.

Let us know how you do.

P.S. I  sent you a note
Thank you mogogal, I will let you know. And I got the note :) Thanks!