Lyme Disease Community
Is severly itchy skin associated with Lyme detox or dieoff?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Almost everytime I take an antibiotic or use an herbal treatment I itch like crazy, especially my back and trunk.  It lasts for a couple of weeks after I stop the treatment.  It even happened after a month of Stromectal for parasites and "after using a drop of Thieves" which is a blend of essential oils.  Has anyone else experienced this is part of the dieoff or detox?
Tags: itchy skin, itch, detox, side affect
I do itch a lot however I can't pinpoint it as well as you have. I can't say if its from die off or detox. Lyme has been in me for over 20 years before starting treatment so I am allergic to many things and have to take Benadryl every night for itching.
Crazy itching like this could be caused by bartonella.
bart is hard to find in blood tests, there doesn't seem to be a reliable one but it's a v commmon co-infection.

I don't know why abx set it off, but since I too 2 years of antibiotic treatment Iìve been plagued by crazy itching. I stoped abx a year ago adn I still have the itching.

bart has a 5 day lifecycle and the itching has a peak every 5th night. If you notice yours doing that, it's a confirmation you have bart.

Lyme can also cause itching but I don't know if it somehow gets stirred up like this by treatment, the way bart does.

Anyway since you're getting it from any meds, I would guess it's more likely lyme or bartonella, than a reaction to the medicines.
A doc told me that itching is simply a low level of pain, conducted by the nerves like pain would be, just dialed back to the point it's not quite as bad as p*a*i*n.  
I would guess it's an unfortunate herx.  We all have our own combination of immune function, nervous system function, and Lyme infection, along with coinfections and whatever else is floating around in our systems.  I haven't had any itching so I don't think I'll be much help.

You might ask your doc what s/he recommends for itching.  Does soaking in Epsom salts help?  Keeping your skin well hydrated?  (Many lotions actually dry your skin and make it worse, leading to repeated application.  Rather diabolical of the manufacturers, isn't it?)
A bit more info.

If itshing is caused by lyme, it is the result of spirochetes burrowing into the myelin sheath of the nerves, They cannot strip it off, but they can get into it and in the mildest form of this invasion, you feel tickling or pins and needles. The next phase is numbness and in its worst form, you feel pain. So as Jackie said, this itching is the mild version of pain.

If it's caused by bartonella, it's the result ofthe bacteria reproducing directly under the skin. They breed there and then migrate into the body.

Either way, the situation is going on inside and so most things you can apply to teh skin don't seem to make a difference. I don't get any relief from antihistamines or any creams, except hydrocortisone cream. This gets absorbed into the skin and acts as an anti-inflammatory, immune suppressor and painkiller.
Trouble is, it is NOT good for people with lyme to use this stuff. I do occasionalyl use it on small areas when I feel desperate but it's not a solution for large itchy areas or for long term use.