Lyme Disease Community
Long Term Antibiotics and teeth
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Long Term Antibiotics and teeth

Hi Everyone. Just wondered if teeth are damaged from long term effect of antibiotics? Also did anyone get discolored teeth from Doxy?
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I think that happens not in adults, but with small children whose teeth are still forming and perhaps with babies in utero -- however it's a question for your doc and your pharmacist.
Blank
Ditto Jackie.  The tetracyclines can discolor teeth in developing children, so pregnanct women and children under 8 (or older for those with delayed teeth) shouldn't take them.  I haven't heard of any tooth discoloration in adults.  
Blank
I do. My teeth all are gray and staining, so I have to fix them one day.
Blank
4373539_tn?1354712352
Hi
I know that isn't pleasant, but thank God for antibiotics that kill the nasty bacteria. Where would we be without them.....
Blank
My teeth were disgusting when I was on abx, grey with brown marks. I had to get them cleaned by the dentist every 3 months even though I had an electric toothbrush. It's only surface staining, nothing is permanent.

Now I am off abx they look lovely and white again. So don't be depressed.
As Jackie said, you can get permanent marks in kids but doc's wonì't prescribe abx for kids or pregnant women at the vulnerable ages/stages.
Blank
4373539_tn?1354712352
Thank you for all your thoughts. I see the dentist in a few weeks. One day at a time right ???
Blank
Good to know!  I'd never heard of abx resulting in surface staining of the teeth!  I have had more stubborn gum inflammation than normal, but that's it.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lyme Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...