This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, Joint Pain issues, Living with Lyme Disease, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments.
I DO have an underlying illness. I have Severe Chronic Asthma. But, I also have Lyme Disease. For the past 3 years, including this year, I have taken the regular flu shot. I am extremely confused about what to do with this new vaccine for swine flu/h1n1 because everything I have found via the web and my Lyme Disease Support Group meetings all say NOT to take either. But, I have to take the yearly one, right? I don't know what to do, does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have an LLMD, no one takes state medicade, and my family doctor doesn't know squat about Lyme; my pulmonologist for my asthma doesn't either. HELP! Each time I have taken the flu shot, I've noticed my Lyme issues getting worse. Memory is leaving me more often, confusion, mood swings, you know, "the works". But, "they" are starting to make me panic (also thanks to the Lyme) about this stupid vaccine and underlying illnesses. Any one of you who read this, please give me your opinion, send me a link to a website that may help, anything. I am truly getting worried, and stress isn't a good thing for my asthma or the Lyme. THANKS!!!!!
I can't give you medical advice, I have no medical training at all -- but I'm not planning to get either a flu shot or the swine flu shot, just a personal decision.
I will be travelling over the holidays, in a jampacked airplane full of sick people, I'm sure, but still I'm not planning on a shot. Like you, I have had bad reactions to flu shots in the past, and my poor body is on overdrive now fighting off what it's got, so I figure my immune system is on alert.
Illogical perhaps not to get a shot, but my current position is not to. I don't have a chonic condition like asthma, so that's outside my frame of reference.
On another note, there are some good LLMDs in Virginia -- have you consulted one (or more)? Treatment really can help IMHO.
I am not a Dr either and each of us needs to make our own decisions on what is best for us, but my LLMD has stated she recommends and prefers that I do not have either vaccine as it can trigger my Lyme disease. I am concerned but have made my decision to listen and Not get the vaccine. My family on the other hand is planning to get the H1N1 and already have received the seasonal vaccine to help ensure the health of our entire family. I am bit of a fanatic on sanitizer these days :) but preventive care is the best line of defense we have. I know my Lyme will come back with a vengence from past experiences and have had to choose No to the vaccines. You need to do what you feel is the best decision for you. Take care and remember we are all always here to help support as best we can.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.