Lyme Disease Community
Lyme and Root Canals

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Lyme and Root Canals

My LLMD showed me an interesting article about Lyme and the mouth. I had a upper molar die for no good reason last year and had to have a root canal and crown put on. We are convinced that the Lyme killed this tooth. My LLMD believes there is still an active infection in the tooth as well which has been complicating my recovery with Lymes. Has anyone heard about dental issues w/ Lyme?

Please read this article, it's a little long, but well worth the read!

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ground+zero+for+Lyme+is+the+mouth.-a0202661747
I know that I get dental pain, and do think it is associated with my LD.  The reason I think that is it moves around, affecting different areas at different times.  I can tell when my inflammation is up (I consistently have high CRP levels and SED rate), and I'm more likely to have tooth pain at those times.

I know I need dental work done, but I am trying to wait until my LD is under better control as I worry it will be extremely painful to get work done while my nerves are still so jangled from the Lyme.  The last time I went to a dentist, he wanted to have my impacted wisdom teeth out by surgery before doing any other work on me, and I really don't feel up to that ordeal just now, and also worry about the use of steroids post-surgery.  

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out...And perhaps this will also motivate me to look for a new dentist!
I'm with Wonko on this point too.

Recently as I have been having recurrent 'Lyme attacks' starting in my head and working their way down through my body till the symptoms dissipate in 4 to 7 days, I've been having tooth pain.  Sometimes generalized, sometimes more in one tooth or another.

I'm also with Wonko in not wanting to go there with major dental work right now.  Too much of a strain on my beleaguered body.
I do worry though, as the original poster states, about if I have dental infections that are contributing to my ails.  But given how transient and non-severe my dental pain is, for now I plan to avoid major work.

I know the Lyme and associated inflammation has lowered my threshold for pain.  Heck, on my bad days, light clothes can hurt my skin.  So I just can't imagine getting my wisdom teeth surgically extracted.  But it weighs on my mind as an issue I must ultimately address.  

Well, glad to know I'm not alone in balancing these issues.
This is exactly how I feel as well. I don't want to deal with ANY MORE dental stuff while I'm going through my Lyme. BUT my doctor is telling me that my root canal was most likely needed because of Lyme. Also, root canals are never 100% infection free. I was on 2 courses of antibiotics after my root canal and it never seemed to completely clear up. I am being told that it is definitely complicating my recovery and adding to the lack of detox I'm able to achieve. I am going to see a Biological Dentist Tuesday for more testing that is supposed to identify which teeth have Lyme in them. I am praying that there aren't any more... I dont want to loose more teeth!! yikes!!!! I'll you know what I find out.
I to have dental Pain. TMJ, Tooth Aches for no reason and i grind my teeth like no tomorrow!