Lyme Disease Community
Lyme and Thyroid Problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Lyme and Thyroid Problems

Has anyone else had thyroid problems concurrently with Lyme? The LLMD look at my thyroid results and said that it actually was NOT normal and that most doctors only follow what is in the range, but he said it was not working to it's full potential. Also one of my thyroid test show I have a lot of antibodies in my thyroid and he believes it is all autoimmune related. I am getting my thyroid tested again. I can't believe I have been 4 or 5 different doctors who didn't pay attention to my thyroid results until him.
My LLMD also noticed some back back that he thought my thyroid was low, and tried me on a little supplement, but it upset my stomach.  So I said, let's kill the Lyme first, and then we'll worry about my thyroid.

Then recently the LLMD said that my last thyroid test showed fairly normal, without me taking anything for it.

Maybe there is some synergy between thyroid and Lyme, don't know, and I don't think it affects everyone.  I'd play it by ear and see what the LLMD recommends and maybe try it to see how it suits you.

Yup.  

TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is usually what is tested.  While most labs stage that a range up to ~4.5 (not sure of the units) is normal, more and more docs now think that 3 is an upper limit, and that in cases of know hypothyroidism, evel lower leves are desirable.  

(It's a bit counter-intuitive, but HIGH TSH means LOW thyroid function.  High levels of TSH indicate that the thyroid needs a lot of signals from the body in order to do it's job.  Kinda like a lazy employee may need a lot of emails/calls to get the job done.)

Anyway, my TSH rose quite a bit from when I first went to the doctor for my mystery diagnosis, and my LLMD also gave that more attention than my other doctors.

I also tested positive for thyroid antibodies (associated with Hasimoto's, an autoimmune form of hypothyroidism) but only once, they were gone in subsequent testing.

I was never offered thyroid medications, but my LLMD is taking the approach that JackieCalifornia states:  We're going to treat the Lyme, and hope the thryoid issues resolve.  My TSH did show a drop on my last round of blood work.

Lyme can attack any part of the body, and I've read that lots of Lyme patients end up with some hypo issues.  Whether or not these problems present or resolve with Lyme treatment likely varies from person to person...

However, you may want to see an endocrinologist for a full evalation of your thyroid results.  I think that's the appropriate speciality, though of course I'm just a patient and not a medical doctor so take anything I say with a grain of salt handy!

Take care.
Yes my last test was TSH, T3, T4, and thyroid antibodies. My TSH was 2.9. The dr. says he generally likes to see it under 2. My T4 was right on the border .76 and said it should be way higher. My thyroid antibodies were borderline normal as well and he basically said there should be as little as possible. I believe that's where these antibiotics kick in. I will do this treatment and then they will look at my thyroid once again 3 months from now. How interesting to find someone else with thyroid and lyme issues.
My LLMD put me on armour thyroid since I was complaining of swelling in the area of the thyroid, actually inhibiting swallowing.  It felt like I had something hard stuck in my throat.  After about a year of taking the armour it seems to have resolved and I don't notice it anymore.  I hope it won't return as it was an annoying symptom.  
I too have a high tsh(4.9)  and was diagnosis with hashimoto's and we thought  that was it in 2003.  Then came dec of 2006 and I fell apart.  Lost 30 pounds due to the hyperthroid afeects ( fast pulse, palpitations, couldn't eat,severe anxiety, etc) I was very sick. To shorten my story in march of 2007 I stopped my synthroid altogether. I could finally return to my 40 hour week job.  It wasn't easy but at least I could do my job and go home and rest.  One interesting note is my t3 and t4 stayed in the normal range during all of this.  My infectous disease dr said lyme can cause the thyroid to act up also.  So we are holding off with that til the lyme is undercontrol.