Lyme Disease Community
Taste & Smell
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Taste & Smell

For several months now I have had a constant sweet smell and taste in my nose and mouth. I consulted the doctor and had all the blood tests required for diabetes etc. All the tests came back normal. The doctor said that it could be a sinus infection, and all he could do is prescribe an anti-biotic.
Can anyone shine any light on my problem ?.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Lyme disease can cause olfactory [smell] hallucinations -- I have had them.  The ENT (ear/nose/throat) MD I saw didn't know what it was, but my Lyme dr did.  They come and go.

However, if you don't have any of the other signs or symptoms of Lyme, then I would think the likelihood that you have Lyme is low.  However, I'm not a doctor, so can't say for sure.

The Mayo Clinic website says:

"Many people are sensitive to certain smells, but in an olfactory hallucination (phantosmia), you detect smells that aren't really present in your environment.

"The odors detected in phantosmia vary from person to person and may be foul or pleasant. They can occur in one or both nostrils and usually can't be masked by food.

"Phantosmia most often occurs as a result of a head injury or upper respiratory infection. It can also be caused by temporal lobe seizures, sinusitis, brain tumors, migraine, Parkinson's disease and stroke. ..."

So the simplest answer might be, as your MD said, a sinus infection, which would be treated with antibiotics.  

(Interesting that the Mayo Clinic website doesn't mention Lyme as a possible cause.  Oh well.)
Blank
Many thanks for your comments, most helpful.

Thanks again,

bill1988 (Ramsgate, Kent, UK.)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lyme Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703