Teasel Root
Hi My doc started me on Teasel root, this is the end of my third week on it. I really am not sure what I am suppose to notice or feel. I feel the same. I went back to see him and he wants to start antibiotics specifically Omnicef and zithromycin with diflucan. I am not sure I want to move forward especially since there are no guarantees. I hate to put these chemicals in my body. I already have stomach issues so I am worried that it will really tear up my stomach. I am not a dairy eater and try to avoid it at all times. I do take a strong pro-biotic but don't really think it does much. What say you all? Will my symptoms only get worse? If I take the antibiotics he wants to also start one week later on IV Rocefin and it's not covered by my insurance. It will cost me about 2,000 and again not guarantees. Anyone know why my insurance will not cover the IV rocefin?
I have been on orals only for the same reason. I have improved.

I haven't been on omnicef so I can't comment there but for Lyme I switch between doxy and minocycline. You should also be taking a cyst buster like Flagyl or tindamax.
How long is the treatment. My Rx is for 30 days.
"Anyone know why my insurance will not cover the IV rocefin?"

For that you'd have to call your insurance company or read the teeny \ tiny fine print.

Every ones insurance is different and a person can only report what their insurance company will or will not do.

"How long is the treatment"
That's up to your doctor and your insurance company.

" My Rx is for 30 days."

Sometimes prescriptions are only written out for 30 days at a time. Then your doctor can write another rx if he feels it's necessary and you haven't improved. Sometimes a doctor will have to write a letter of medical necessity to the insurance company to continue to get more abx.

That depends on your insurance company and how willing your doctor is willing to continue to do that.
I understand/know about the insurance. I was hoping for more of a different answer so really I should have worded my questions different. I am really trying to gauge if my LLMD is getting me on the right track for treatment for instance is oral antibiotics generally just for 30 days? Or is this the start of 6 mo or more on therapy? Also I know all insurance is different however does most all insurance deny IV therapy for Lyme? I am asking questions (i am sure) to which there are no right or wrong answers. I think I am just trying to see what kind of battle physically and financially I am heading into.
He has me on grapefruit seed extract as a cyst buster
O.K.--- I think I understand your questions--- just sort of muddling through this maze of unanswerable question. I've done that---- almost like talking to myself but also wanting to hear other people's experience.

"I am really trying to gauge if my LLMD is getting me on the right track for treatment for instance is oral antibiotics generally just for 30 days? Or is this the start of 6 mo or more on therapy? "

If you were bitten by an infected tick within the last week or so then 30 days of oral abx MIGHT be enough.

If it's been longer------ then, unless you're incredibly lucky, then----- no.

You asked:
" I am really trying to gauge if my LLMD is getting me on the right track for treatment for instance is oral antibiotics generally just for 30 days?"

Copying what I said above

"Sometimes prescriptions are only written out for 30 days at a time. Then your doctor can write another rx if he feels it's necessary and you haven't improved. Sometimes a doctor will have to write a letter of medical necessity to the insurance company to continue to get more abx.

That depends on your insurance company and how willing your doctor is willing to continue to do that."

You might want to ask your doctor if he will only rx 30 days or will extend that rx ''as needed". Mine extended the rx, every 30 days, until the insurance "in house" doctor said "no more".

What  people don't often understand is that the tail (insurance company) wags the dog (treatment). And that's why so many LLMDs don't take insurance. :)

Your question:
" do most all insurance deny IV therapy for Lyme"

That's one of those unanswerable questions. :) Or rather with a bazillion different answers.

My ins. only covered IV Rocephin (past 30 days) as long as my doctor was willing to continue to 'fight' with the ins. co. In my case that was about 4-5 months. Then I had to find another way to continue.

Some people have ins. that won't cover it. It all depends on their plan.

If you don't know, check to see if your state has a lyme coverage law. But dont ask the ins. company about this.
I'm interested in your statement: "If you don't know, check to see if your state has a lyme coverage law"

Can you explain what you mean? I don't think I've heard of that --- maybe under another name?

TIA
Thank you. I see this could be a very long road. How will I know if the oral antibiotics work? Will I feel worse then better (again one of those questions that prob have a million answers)? Right now my main symptoms are muscle ache and joint pain. Does not keep me from daily activity only from running. I still work out but feel recovery from the work out sure takes a few days. I have some other mild symptoms like memory recall, anxiety, numbness in limbs and sometimes eye pain with movement. I want to start the antibiotics but just don't know what to expect as I work full time at a very stressful sales job so I am not sure how the treatment will affect my ability to work. I just really don't like the uncertainty of it all. Wish there were more definitive answers.
Found this.....

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/704166_6

and this...

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=370:state-legislativepolicy-accomplishments&catid=109:government&Itemid=301
In Minnesota it is officially state law, but some insurance companies still try to get around it from a technicality stand point. Maybe just recently Georgia did something like that.
Have you ever been on Teasel Root?