Lyme Disease Community
There is an epidemic of Lyme in the South
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

There is an epidemic of Lyme in the South

A few weeks ago, (my Lyme brain can't remember when) someone posted that because he was in the South he thought he couldn't have Lyme. I was referred to a Chiropractor who knew a great deal about Lyme and said she felt there was an epidemic of Lyme in her FL practice. It went up tenfold since the last year. Found that interesting so thought I would share.
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
It's pretty much everywhere.  Sigh.  Now if only the docs would catch on ... !
Blank
I just saw an article today written by a Mom who is an MD in the Sacramento area and she wrote about Lyme Disease and tick awareness. Twice she calls it "rare." Doesn't she know that as soon as people hear "rare," they stop listening?  Winning SuperLotto is rare.

Clearly she is unaware that the nymph tick Lyme infection rate in some parts of CA are 30-40%.  Pick up 3-4 tiny ticks in one of these areas and you're pretty much guaranteed to get it.

I think it is an epidemic here, too.
Blank
Just a few months ago, a Yale professor published tick infection rates east of the Mississippi, showing blanks all across the south.  She straight up said that a positive Lyme test in the south would be very suspicious unless the patient could prove travel to a "highly endemic" area.  She failed to acknowledge that Ixodes ticks are endemic through much of the south, including FL. I saw a quote from an ILADS doctor who said that the published map from Yale was based on only NINE ticks collected in Florida that tested negative.  And yet Yale docs claim they have the good science on their side.
Blank
1763947_tn?1334058919
Its funny that when a family friend went to Yale to find out what he had, they were clueless. He found an LLMD who confirmed his Lyme .
Blank
I think Yale's Lyme group is a great example of "group think.". That's where Allen Steere was when he first wrote about "Lyme arthritis." They still hold to his narrow view that Lyme is nearly always just sore knees and a bulls eye rash.
Blank
When I lived in Florida, for some reason not even once I ever saw tick on my dog. I certainly did saw other nasty bugs-bananna spider and scorpions-no, not on my dogs, thank goodness.

I always wonders if snakes, lizards, and such large-sized bugs eats ticks. I've heard some people around here on Long Island have chickens roaming on their property for that purpose.  

Couples of weeks ago I was susprised to see there is tick research/testing facility, with restricted access, at UNF (University of North Florida)  where I attended and got my bachelors degree from. So, obviously, tick is around in Florida.  
Blank
They're everywhere.  I remember getting ticks in the Deep South when I was a kid.  My grandfather would light a cigarette and touch it to the tick to make it fall off.  Something like that really sticks in memory!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lyme Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...