Lyme Disease Community
Tick Bite Question

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Tick Bite Question

Can anyone tell me what to do if anything about a tick bite?
I found a small tick on my right hip tonight. The tick was attached, but
was not deep enough to draw any blood. It also did not bleed when I pulled
him and his head out with tweezers.
The spot briefly puffed up like a mosquito bite, then nothing. Is there any reason
to go to Dr. since it didn't draw any blood? I didn't think to keep the tick, I just flushed him.

I'd call the doc tomorrow, or go to urgent care, and tell them about the tick and request a course of antibiotics.  If the first doc blows you off, go to another one, and keep going.

Some docs will say that if the tick is not attached for at least X hours/days, then it cannot transmit disease.  I know of no studies showing the absolute cutoff, and most people don't know when the tick first bit.  That the bite site swelled up even a little says that there was some reaction going on between your immune system and the tick, and whatever it was, it's not necessarily benign.

The risk/reward weighs heavily in favor of two weeks of antibiotics rather than waiting to see if you become terribly ill with Lyme, which is a long and uncertain cure after the very early stages (which is where you are now).

It's like driving without a seat belt:  maybe nothing bad happens, but if something bad happens, it could be really REALLY bad, and the inconvenience of wearing a seat belt is nothing compared to an unrestrained crash.  

So ... I'd 'buckle up' and get antibiotics -- quickly.  
I agree with Jackie, I would get on antibiotics right now because you don;t want to take the chance of it turning into much more like we all have. if caught early you can avoid that. Good Luck.
If I ever saw a tick in my skin again, I would go get antibiotics right away.  I would never take the risk of getting this disease again!  The risk is that you might not get the usual rash, and then don't know you have Lyme until it's established.  Then it's harder to treat.