Lyme Disease Community
Tongue issues??

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Tongue issues??

For about a week now I've been having weird issues with my tongue.  At first it kinda felt tingly, but now it feels as if I've burned it... and I haven't!  When I look at it.. the tip looks like the tastebuds are inflamed  and kinda scaley looking. Hard to explain.  Just kinda weird and didn't know if it was something else or what??  
I am not experiencing that currently, but I have in the past gotten tingling and altered sensation in my tongue and mouth.

Be extra careful eating/drinking hot foods/drinks, as your ability to gauge the temperature may be affected.

In regards to the appearance of your tongue, I would try to get it looked at.  If you can't get to a doc. or medic soon, perhaps take a picture in case it disappears before it can be seen.

I have many benign oral lesions on the inside of my cheeks and below my tongue.  No doctor I've ever seen can tell me what they are, they just tell me they are not cancerous and are benign.  They never change size or hurt, they are like bubbles beneath the surface.  They appeared suddenly, over a year before when I consider my Lyme symptoms to have emerged.  I have no idea if they are related to my Lyme and co's in any way.
Interesting to hear of the differant symptoms that appear and not know if they are related to Lyme I havent had problems with my tongue except for using it too much or so my husband tells me...lately my ears have been slightly aching again and I have some of that scalp itch, comes and goes.....
Could it be thyroid related? Just a guess.
do you have a creamy coating at the back of the tongue?  ie  thrush?
I have an episodic tingling on the front of my tongue that also seems to be coupled with redness and burning. I also have weird red patches that straddle both sides of the tongue that appear for a week or two at a time, and they may appear once every month or so. I've had weird issues with my tongue for several years at least. But the tingling started happening when my other tingling started about a year ago, so they are definitely correlated.  

You can take a digital photo of your tongue since it's hard to have a flare up when you want to see a doctor.
I get those little bumps under my tongue too! I've been getting them for awhile now. They don't hurt or anything and they are really little.  I've never figured out what they are from either.  I had my dr look at my tongue and he didn't say anything... Literally... he just went... HMMMM....  

When I first read this message when you posted it, I thought, No, Not me.

But since then, I got a burning tongue, like I had scalded it, but the burning feeling didn't go away for a couple of days.  It seemed to leave slowly, working from front to back, and at the very back of my tongue, a couple of taste buds are swollen up like garbanzo beans/chick peas.  Okay, not quite THAT big, but lumpy and regular pink color.  They didn't really hurt and are slowly going away, the only bothersome thing was that it made it a little hard to swallow big chunky stuff like chicken.  So I'm betting it's Lyme doing its little tap dance.  Let us know if you hear anything from a dr. beside HMMM...!
I dont know if this is related, but one of the symptoms I had with the Lyme disease was Bells palsy.....I had a weird sensation on my upper lip and numbness......Hope this helps
I had the same thing that Heartfelt had with the bell palsy. Right sided. I do remember having a hard time pronouncing certain words. My tongue felt uncoordinated. The nerve to the tongue is part of the facial nerve. I would try not to get into any lengthly conversations I couldn't trust how anything would come out.
did you guys solved your problem?

in the front-border of my tongue, my taste buds are irritated. this started in June 2012 (we are in January 2013 now). so 7 months now.

the problem is that tastebuds are painful, specially after I talk too much (due friction with the teeth, I suposse). the pain goes and comes. you can check my Journal for all the tests I have done.

any ideas? anyone with similar symptoms? how did you solve your problem?
Welcome --

Just a note to say that the message thread you responded to is almost 4 years old and I don't know that any of those posters are still around, except wonko sometimes.

But you never know, you might get a response!  Best wishes --