Lyme Disease Community
Twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Twitching

How many people have body wide twitching?  I have twitched in every body part at one time.  Just curious

DD
I have twitching all over. It drives me crazy!
I have it from head to toe.
Please forgive me for asking this but you both have Lyme?   Do you do anything for the twitching?  how about neuropathy and leg/foot pain.

DD
I just received a clinical dx of lym(slightly positive on Igenix), but negative CDC. I just started antibiotics last night. In the past, I have used Neurontin, which helped only slightly. I have buzzing in my feet (mostly left foot), migratory tingling, and pins and needles feelings all over, especially shock like sensations in head and face. All of this can be contributed to lyme and other things. I am not certain of the lyme dx, but will have to ride it out and see how things go after taking the antibiotics. Most of all of my symptoms are neurological, which is harder to treat from what I have read. I hope things get better for you.
Thank you.  Which antibiotics are you on?
I am on 200 mgs of Doxy per day, plus a ton of other supplements. I was just told that this may be too much of a small dosage. I am not sure, but will just try it and see.
I have muscle twitches from head to toe also.  I am in the process of waiting for the results of my Igenex test for Lyme, but I am taking Doxycycline 200 mg now based on clinical diagnosis. I was on 300 mg of Doxy, and it was just too much for my body, so backed it down to 200mg for now until I get adjusted to it.
You could try a Magnesium supplement to see if it relieves any of the muscle twitches.  

People with Lyme Disease are deficient in Magnesium which can cause the twitching. I have found that when I take magnesium, the muscle twitches seem better. Always check with your doctor though before adding magnesium because it can inferfere with some medications.
I have not had a positive lyme test but all my symptoms started after a classic bullseye rash (actually I had 3 bullseyes at the same time).  I have never found amything that stops the twitching.  It comes and goes as it pleases.
Thank you.  I am just very worn out with all of this (and broke).  I felt pretty good today and tried to work but boy am I paying now!  Lots of muscle pain and twitching.

DD
Do you suppose muscle twitching could also be neurological, which in that case, magnesium wouldn't help?
I have Lyme and babesiosis, and have some twitching, not a lot.  Mostly the eyelids on one side, and currently my left bicep.  The twitching got better while I was on abx.

I take magnesium supplements, and I take them at least 1 hour before I take abx.  I have also read that Lyme bugs use up magnesium, and I seemed to do better after starting magnesium.  I don't take much, actually less than the MDR, but that with the magnesium I get from diet seems to be enough -- but I'm real sensitive to meds and supplements.  
Magnesium can help but it did nothing for me.  The twitching is from over-excited nerve impulses.  It can be from toxins (lyme bacteria) or depletion on Mg from lyme.  The dye off causes release of toxins too.  Or it can be from damaged nerves.  It's hard to say what is causing it.
I get twitching also. Comes and goes. I seem to get a lot of twitching in my chest area, but I don't have Chippendale pecs to take advantage of it. Last couple of days have been in the legs, and strangely enough, my bum also went through a small twitching episode.
LOL!  I get the  bum and chest twitches too.  It's really not funny though is it....
I've had to go off Lyme meds due to side effects, and wow what a slap in the face with the symptoms roaring back.  I was doing SO well!  Phooey.

It's different this time too, in that my eyes are badly swollen and red, giving me double vision, and also vertigo.

Since first infected 3 years ago, I never had vertigo but did have terrible brain fog -- and right now I don't have brain fog but feel generally antsy.

Just goes to show how the bugs affect each of us differently and at different times.  Freaky.

Will see the dr day after tomorrow to plan the next attack again the Germ ....
Not that I want other people to have the same symptoms, but it's nice to see I'm not the only one and that it's not another symptom that's "just in my head".

Personally, I think some of my organs twitch once in awhile. I'll have surface twitching in the chest area, but I swear sometimes the twitching is happening underneath my ribcage. Maybe it's still a muscle but it feels odd.
Hi ott,

I have read some of your posts and we seem very similar.  Do you carry a diagnosis of Lyme or anything else?

DD
No diagnosis other than "crazy in the head" from some of my doctors. Dr. Jernigan at the Hansa Center for whole body healing / naturalopathic / biological medicine suspects Lyme disease but he can't provide an official diagnosis. I haven't bothered with the Igenex test because I'm not sure what that will accomplish with my regular doctors and health insurance. I don't want to take antibiotics, so getting a Lyme diagnosis might not provide me with much.