atypical borrelia rash
34 years ago my camping companion/lover and I presented with intense itching and odd tiny (hair's width) straight lines (~3 cm long) rashes removed from the site of our recent tick bites.  Subsequently we had neurological symptoms consistent with MS (and Lyme disease).  Incredibly a year later, I gave my soon to be wife this odd neuro thing with a rash and subsequent permanent numbness and tingling.  Everybody tested negative for STD;s.  My symptoms persisted episodically.    A western blot for borrelia was negative.  I was diagnosed with MS.

Does not having had the typical Bullseye rash and the having a negative western blot adequately exclude borrelia?  Is there another infectious agent that should be considered?  

I wonder what they saw in the emergency room in Spokane 34 years ago.  They took pictures and even had a sketch guy come in before the sent us on our way with cortisone creme.  

OK, ya.  There was one more lover who got it and then recovered.
One possibility to keep in mind is that ticks carry more than just Lyme.  The other "co-infections" can present differently and require different testing/treatment.  A Lyme co-infection called Bartonella can cause a red rash that appears in lines.

There are some examples here:

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/PhotoAlbum_RashBart.html

(Click on the "next slide" link to browse the album.)

The lines are usually thicker than what you describe, but the length and line pattern seems like a possible match.

I've had this rash.  On me it appeared on my belly and the lines were almost perfectly parallel.  

Have you been tested since the original event?  While the Western blot is still in use, I don't know if it has evolved at all over the years.

The standard testing fails for a lot of people, and if you have a co-infection such as Bartonella, it won't show up on a Lyme test.  Many don't get the bull's eye rash, either.  I myself don't recall a tick bite ever, didn't get the classic rash, and didn't have enough positive results to be an official case (that is, I failed to meet the criteria for a Center for Disease Control diagnosis).

If you were diagnosed with MS 34 years ago, have you had follow up MRIs over the years?  Do you show progression consistent with that disease?

There is much debate over whether Lyme and co-infections can be transmitted sexually.  I personally think that it can, but that's just conjecture.