can lyme come back after 4 years
I've been having some wierd symptoms again. Can Lyme disease come back after 4 years?
I read your response to above post.  All I can say is I had bullseye rashes in 1992, followed by a huge infecious, neurologic syndrome which finally resolved after about 5 years.  There is way more to this story but too much to write.  I did receive a few months of antibiotics.  Anyway, it all came back again in 2005 following spine surgery, 13 years later!!!  I, like you have never tested positive but respond to antibiotics.
You said your Lyme came back after your spine surgery. That was most likely a pretty trumatic and stressful affair. 6 weeks ago I avoided a deer and had to lay my Harley down. 3 broken ribs and a few bruises. That was trumatic for me. I wonder if stress and trauma can cause Lyme to re surface. Something to think about. Well, thank you for your comment.
i got bit in 1994, and mine came back after having 3 surgeries last year. for the first one i had uncontrollable bleeding and they tested me for lymes and of course it came back negative. but my symptoms have become worse and i can barely get around anymore. i am sure it is "comes back" after a trauma to the body.
I've done  alot of research on Lyme, and several other illnesses.  I had Lyme in the spring of 2006, and for the past 6 months I've been having bad symptoms, some of which I didn't have when I had Lyme.  They were quick to jump to Lyme again, but I think that's getting ruled out.  When you have Lyme, it can trigger something else in your body that you may have been predisposed to or even just cause something else.  They are now saying that I have some sort of autoimmune disease.  Good luck to you and to everyone else.
I do think this is possible.  If it were me, I would still want to try another course of antibiotics and see if I improve.  I did this when my symptoms came back and I have improved.
I just had my first appointment with my LLMD after testing CDC positive for lyme.  He told me that lyme can come back w/some sort of physical/emotional trauma.  I guess  anything that puts stress on your immune system can do it.  He sees that all the time.  I presented with only neurological symptoms for the first few months and still have hyper reflexes and lesions in my brain, so I am also concerned about the autoimmune aspect of all of this.  

You are right. A physician told me as well that he once had a patient who used to have lyme disease and years later after she was in a car accident, all of her symptoms returned. After being tested, she once again was positive for lyme.

I just started reading the comments.  I was diagnosed a year ago and felt better after the 2nd set ot antibiotics.  I never saw the rash or bite originally.  It had severe elbow pain, so she ran a series of blood work and came pack positive on the blot test.  But the origianl symptom that drove me to the doctor, severe pain in elbows,  has come back.   Do I go back to the doctor again?  On top of this I am hypothyroid as have no thyroid and take daily medications for that and so many of the same symptoms could be contributed to that. Is there a connection?
Greetings --

Were you tested for other diseases carried by the same ticks that carry Lyme?  It is a common thing to have a co-infection, and they need different tests and usually different treatment from Lyme.

What meds were you given, and for how long?

I understand that Lyme can interfere with thyroid function in mysterious ways -- I am now on thyroid supps.  What thyroid meds are you taking?
I had lymes 24 yrs ago and it came back a couple years later. Four years ago it came back again and I still have it. Lymes lowers the immune system and can lead to autoimmune problems. It did for me. I'm now working with my LLMD to get my lymes into remission.