Lyme Disease Community
can lymes cause anxiety?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

can lymes cause anxiety?

my 16 year old son was diagnosed with chronic lymes in Jan/Feb. We originally went to the doctor because he was complaining about his stomach. It gurgled all the time, belching, sometimes upset, sometimes painful. The doctor did a lyme test and it was positive pretty good. He also had headaches, which he is now on migrane (migraine) meds for and helps. He was on three rounds of antibiotics and has been finished with them since may. He needs to have more blood work done soon. He is now complaining about his stomach again, which he really didnt do all summer long. Could this be anxiety over school? He never was like this before he was infected.Can the lymes be a contributing factor? I know it can get into the nervous system, but does it cause anxiety? Help....I'm calling his medical doctor today and he has an appointment with the stomach dr. and neurologist in 2 weeks. What do I do?????
Yes - I think it can be a contributnig factor - one of the many lyme symptoms is anxiety - in my case I feel it worsens my anxiety level.
Do youtake medication for your anxiety? Will drs. put someone with lymes on meds for it?
I get anxious too, but not so much that I've considered meds for it.

I remember reading postings here or elsewhere from Lyme patients who have anxiety, and some of them get meds, some don't.

Lyme can also affect the digestive system, including stomach and intestinal tract, so it may be anxiety and/or direct Lyme effect.  If your son's dr was open-minded enough to test and treat for Lyme, then he's likely to be open to the idea that Lyme is affecting your son's stomach as well...or it could be another bug.

Was your son tested for co-infections often carried by the Lyme deer ticks?  It's not uncommon for that to happen, and the list of possible symptoms gets even longer when co-infections are added to Lyme.

I would not automatically assume it's plain anxiety -- I would take him back to the MD for a further evaluation.  I'm not medically trained, but that's what I'd do for my kid.

Let us know how he (and you) do.  Best wishes --
Lyme does cause anxiety.  I have seen it listed on several symptoms lists.
I don't take meds. for anxiety but some 'lymies' do.

It could be that your son is anxious about school.  Since I got infected - when I am having a flare/worsening of symptoms - I can feel anxious about anything that involves me feeling under pressure to do something - sometimes things I would normally 'take in my stride' like - keeping an appointment - I become obsessive about being on time, etc; - maybe your son is feeling over-whelmed about returning to school - ie; the concentration - discipline - etc;  

Of course - taking your son back to his doctor is the best thing .

gorbs x

I have Lyme and the co-infection Bartonella.  I didn't have anxiety before treatment, but some of the antibiotics I took caused strong reactions including anxiety.  I would feel like the world was "rushing" around me and I felt extremely agitated.  I can imagine it would be very frightening for a youngster, as I didn't take it too well at 30!

I was very short at times, way worse than my normal self.  I would feel angry for no real reason.  If I dropped something, I'd yell at the person next to me like it was THEIR fault.  I would fixate on some small detail, like a person across a large room opening a cough drop.  The noise of the wrapper would seem to be very loud and intense.  It was like getting "sensory overload" from just about anything.  Crowds were impossible.

My LLMD didn't medicate the anxiety, because it was obviously from the Lyme and therefore treating the cause made more sense than medicating the symptom.  But I would keep an open mind to anti-anxiety meds if they might make your son's recovery less challenging.

These symptoms have resolved in me.  I can again go to concerts or other crowded events and feel just fine.  I don't feel that unusual rushing anymore.  If I drop something, I laugh at myself.  

Is your son aware of his anxiety, or do you notice it more?  Lyme most certainly can affect personality, and I think it's important for him to be able to communicate and share that aspect of the disease.  I would bring it up with your doctor as well as talk to him about it.
Thank you all for the imput. I will talk in full length to the doctor tomorrow.
Most excellent comments and suggestions, Wonko.  Very thoughtful.