Lyme Disease Community
false positive WB with viral infection?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

false positive WB with viral infection?

I read the boiler plate paragraph on my Igenex Lyme WB results and it reads the following:

LIMITATION:
Postive result for 31 and/or 34kDa may be present after vacination may give false positive results in unaffected persons.
Infection with HSV, EBV HCV and or syphillis (syphilis) (RPR+) may give false positive results

Sentence 1) Vacination type is not given, is it fair to assume this is for common vaccinations we've typically had?
Sentence 2) Which bands are cross-reactive with these viruses? It doesn't say.

Notwithstanding the fact that I already know that everyone in this community accepts that the bloodwork doesn't mean much anyway, but I would still very much appreciate what this means.
Have you tried contacting the lab directly with your questions?  They have contact info on their website.  I don't know the answers.
Good suggestion. No, I couldnt find any mention of that on their web site, but have sent an email to them.
I bet the vaccination they are talking about is the lyme vaccination that no longer exists.  Cause didn't they develop that vaccine from band 31 and 34?    I also believe that band 31 is the one that is cross reactive with the viruses.  This is why they offer the 31 confirmation to determine if it is actually pos from lyme or something else.  

This is just my opinion, but I agree that you should contact Igenex and ask them.

Good luck.
Please let us know what you find out.  I think 30 can be positive with mycoplasma and possible EBV but I'm not sure.
Finally got a reply from Igenex, but it's not clear. Does he mean 34 kDa or 31 responds to viruses?

" The vaccination referred too is the Lyme Vaccine available 1995-1997.  It was subsequently removed because of problems.  31 kDa may falsely respond to viruses.  The 31 epitope is a conformation test for the 31.  Its test code 488 for IgM and test code 489 for IgG."

Dr. Nick S. Harris,President/ CEO
IGeneX, Inc.
Palo Alto, California
I think he is saying that 31 can be from virus.  I think it is more likely though if you have JUST band 31 show up on the blot.  If you have other supporting lyme specific bands it is most likely lyme.  

What were your WB results again?