Lyme Disease Community
green color urine?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

green color urine?

I know this is an odd question, but I've had green urine not cloudy just light green. unless I drink a lot then it turns yellow. this has happened for years. looked it up before and it stated it may be food dye.  Didn't think about it till my twin 4 year olds peed in the toilet and didn't flush and it is light green.  We don't eat the same foods.  Is this normal? I tested positive, could they?
It's a perfectly reasonable question, I think.  I'd sure want to know!

What did you test positive for?
positive for lyme disease.  I thought the green urine was just me and nothing for years till I saw that they peed green too.
are you taking alinia? it does that.
The Mayo Clinic website says this:

"Urine is made up of excess water and waste products that have been filtered from your blood by your kidneys. Its yellow color comes from urochrome, a pigment that results from the breakdown of hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells.

"Discolored urine is often caused by medications, certain foods or food dyes. For instance, the dyes used in some sugary cereals can show up in kids' urine. In some cases, though, changes in urine color may be caused by certain health problems.

"Here's a look at possible causes for abnormal urine color:

"Red or pink urine
"Despite its alarming appearance, red urine isn't necessarily serious. Causes include:

* Blood. The presence of red blood cells is the main reason urine turns red. Usually, bleeding isn't severe and occurs without other signs or symptoms. Factors that can cause urinary blood, known medically as hematuria, range from strenuous exercise, urinary tract infections and an enlarged prostate to kidney or bladder stones, kidney disease, and, occasionally, kidney cancer or bladder cancer.
    * Foods. Beets, blackberries and mom's rhubarb pie can turn urine red or pink.
    * Medications. Certain laxatives — Ex-lax is an example — can cause red urine. Prescription drugs that have the same effect include antipsychotics such as chlorpromazine and thioridazine and the anesthetic propofol (Diprivan).
    * Toxins. Chronic lead or mercury poisoning can cause urine to turn red. This may be the result of high levels of excreted porphyrins, the same pigments that discolor the urine of people who have porphyria.

"Orange urine
"Orange urine is hard to miss. Blame it on:

* Foods and supplements. Leading food culprits include vitamin C and carrots and carrot juice. Large amounts of carotene, the orange pigment in carrots, winter squash and other vegetables, can also discolor the palms of your hands and soles of your feet.
    * Medications. Medications that can turn urine orange include the antibiotic rifampin (Rifadin); the blood thinner warfarin (Coumadin); phenazopyridine (Pyridium), which treats urinary tract discomfort; some laxatives and certain chemotherapy drugs.
    * Dehydration. Drinking too few fluids can concentrate urochrome, making urine much deeper in color.

"Blue or green urine
Blue or green urine can result from:

* Foods. Asparagus may give urine a greenish tinge as well as a characteristic odor.
    * Medications. A number of medications produce blue urine, including amitriptyline, indomethacin (Indocin), cimetidine (Tagamet), the anti-nausea drug Phenergan and several multivitamins. A dye used in several medications that treat urinary pain (Urised, others) can turn urine blue.
    * Medical conditions. Familial hypercalcemia, a rare inherited disorder that causes high levels of calcium, is sometimes called blue diaper syndrome because children with the disorder have blue urine.

"Dark brown or tea-colored urine

* Food. Eating large amounts of fava beans, rhubarb or aloe can cause dark brown urine.
    * Medications. A number of drugs can darken urine, including the antimalarial drugs chloroquine and primaquine; the antibiotic metronidazole; nitrofurantoin, which treats urinary tract infections; laxatives containing cascara or senna; and methocarbamol, a muscle relaxant.
    * Medical conditions. Some liver disorders, especially hepatitis and cirrhosis, and the rare hereditary disease tyrosinemia can turn urine dark brown. So can acute glomerulonephritis, a kidney disease that interferes with the kidney's ability to remove excess fluid and waste."

=====================================
Since high calcium levels can cause blue or green urine, you might want to ask your kids' pediatrician if s/he would check for it.  That way whatever else is going on with you healthwise won't confuse the test results.  Just a thought.  (I find my MDs can deal with only a couple of things at each appointment, so I have to pick my battles/questions to cover the *obviously* important stuff.  Maybe the ped has a longer attention span.)  

... Although how you get a 4 year old to pee into a cup, I dunno!!

Let us know what you find out, ok?

Cloudy or murky urine
Urinary tract infections and kidney stones can cause urine to appear cloudy or murky.
I'm not taking alinia.  For meds I'm on Metoporolol started ~ 10 mo. ago, and Levothyroxine since last April.  Nothing is the same besides that from week to week I eat a wide variety of foods, different from the kids- they are picky.  
I guess it is not serious like above, just odd.
I occasionally had blue/green urine for years prior to my dx and treatment, and it has since resolved.  I would typically get it just in the morning.  I dont have a definitive answer, but since it stopped happening once I started abx, I do wonder if the odd color had to do with untreated infection.
i've had blue-green urine myself every morning this week... hard to figure out the cause though because i just started taking vitamin d-3, magnesium, water-pills, and charcoal!
i am 22 weeks pergnant and i have been taking macrodantin uti an is made me pee green just asking should i stop taking it i dnt want to hurt my unborn chid
You should ask your doctor and/or your pharmacist before you stop taking the meds -- but don't put off asking them.

I just looked it up on the internet and it looks like it can change the color of urine, but only your doc can say whether it is cause for concern.

Best wishes --