Lyme Disease Community
lyme's disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

lyme's disease

1) Can lyme's disease relapse?

2) Can lyme's disease cause vision problems, i.e. double vision?  

3) Can the disease cause heart palpitations?
Hi Geri, I believe the answer to all of your questions in yes.
i agree with renschwa.

I was treated for 7 months with 2 different lyme treatment protocols. And i still suffer from symptoms.

My cousin too, who was diagnosed with lyme (a very quick diagnosis) still has lingering eye problems such as myself.

I still have muscle twitches and pins and needle feelings in my feet and hands.

I too have heart palpitions. Mind you, i notice them a night when i lay down.
Are you supplementing with magnesium?  I find that helps with the twitches and heart beat.  My first serious symptom of Lyme (after feeling like h*ll) was an irregular heartbeat.

Now that I take magnesium supplements, it's much much better.

I take magnesium malate, because it's said to be easy to absorb, but I don't know on what basis that was said.  An MD warned me not to take more than the daily amount, because it can give you kidney stones.  

Check with your MD!
I was on magniesum. I have stopped since after treatment. may continue
My answer is also yes to all three, I was bitten 20 years ago, it has ranged on and off through the years Trauma can trigger the symptoms , I have had negative results from tests ,,  
Thanks for your answers.  How long was your longest treatment and was it treated with doxycycline?  If so, how many mgs a day?  One of the girls in my office was recently treated with 1000 mgs. a day of doxycycline - having had three relapses myself I was never treated with that much.  I think I will go to a lyme's specialist or infectious disease dr.  Any opinions?
I would suggest you find a Lyme specialist (sometimes called informally an LLMD, or Lyme Literate MD).  That MD may also be an infectious disease specialist, but many (most?) infectious disease MDs hold to the party line of IDSA, the Infectious Disease Society of America, which holds tightly to the position that Lyme (1)  is not a big deal, (2) it's always completely cured with a couple weeks of antibitoics and (3) there is no such thing as chronic or longterm Lyme.

I would check the ILADS (International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society) at ILADS [dot] org and see if you can locate an LLMD there.  Or just google 'LLMD [Kansas City]' or wherever your location or area is.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.
i am suffering from neuro lyme neuroborrleis, and the abx iv rocephine did nothing only brought out, body pains  ((9 weeks) no relief from the cranial head pressure which is constant..24/7 any suggestions,  also vision problems close and distance, having trouble focusing.  Feet freeze and burn all at once, hands hot and burn, pins and needle sensation everywhere changes from hour to hour, constant ringing in ears, Help!
I too have neuro Lymes, I have been on Doxycillian four 3 wks now, Feeling a bit better, but not great. I suffer from the headaches,sensativity to light, double vision, Pins and needles, and numbness in my hand,and feet,a most of all Cronic (chronic) fatigue,and spactisity in my legs. I can't imagine feeling like this forever, I have been having  difficulty holding down a job,and I am very irratable.
Have you checked with your doctor about how you are feeling?  

In my experience, feeling worse when starting antibiotics often makes the symptoms temporarily worse as the bacteria are being killed and releasing their toxins into your system.  It's called a "Herx" reaction.

On the other hand, sometimes feeling worse means the doctor would consider switching you to another drug, if it's a reaction to the medication.  My MD has done that sometimes for me.

However, overall, it will take time to kill the bacteria -- it's not like taking a 3 pill Z-pak for an earache.  Nine weeks is getting to be a while to still feel really bad; three weeks less so.  I would suggest you report to your doctor your symptoms and how long they have lasted and how bad they are and whether they have gotten better or worse or stayed the same.  I'm not medically trained, so don't rely on me for medical advice, but that's what I would do if I were in your situation.

Best wishes, let us know how you do.