Lyme Disease Community
my most annoying symptom...feeling heart beat

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

So I don't know what is wrong with me..so far all tests normal although I haven't been tested for lyme yet. My symptoms are very annoying but still can go about my daily life. My symptoms bugging me now are painful feet, can't run on a treadmil for more than 2 minutes without my right shin exploding in pain, still have tingling/goosebumps, still have visual snow/starbursting/halos/flashes of light in the dark when I move my eyes/mild verticle double vision, ect.

My MOST annoying symptom of whatever I have is the pounding heart at night. I will be laying in bed trying to fall asleep and I can hear every single heart beat. My heart beart can also be seen through my shirt. I check my blood pressure and it is always around 110/70 and my pulse doesn't seem to be faster or irregular. I just can't shake this pulse feeling when I am trying to fall asleep. It takes me forever to fall asleep because of it. I dont know if this is a symptom of lyme or just anxiety. I'm not really concerned about it because I've had normal EKG's becuase of random heart flutters that I get every once in awhile. The pounding is just so ANNOYING. Some nights I can barely feel/hear it but most of the time it is there. I wake up in the morning without the loud pulse so it seems to mostly occur when I am trying to fall asleep.

Does anyone here get this heart pounding? Maybe it is all in my head/anxiety

-Sarah
It's not in your head. I get this too.  Mine is a fast heartbeat.  Have you checked your heart rate?  
Yeah, my heart rate doesn't seem to be any faster than what it usually is.

If what I have is lyme, what causes this heart pounding? It seems to me that it can be harmful to my heart but my blood pressure is normal.
Are you on any new medication?

Also, on another forum, a gentleman had this symptom and magnesuim seemed to help. Please start with a low dose to see how you tolerate it. It causes G.I. issues in large doses. Take it several hours before OR after antibiotics.
You have lyme.  The 'feeling your heart beat' symptom is one of the first to show up and I found I had it at night the most.  It would start up out of nowhere sometimes waking me up and would go on for days and then mysteriously stop.  All test were normal, but I know what you mean, it is very unnerving being able to feel your heartbeat so keenly.  I think its the bacteria invading the nerves near the heart so whatever normal sensations you have get amplified.  Get to a LLMD and get tested at Igenex as soon as you can.
Your symptoms are like mine. Whatever is causing these seems to have a way to make our bodies hypersensitive. I just work hard at trying to ignore it, even though it's not always that easy.  Visual snow quit bothering me after I accepted it and turned my attention to something else when I happen to notice it.  

If you're taking meds, that may explain racing heart rate. I believe I may have had a reaction to Nortriptylene since I would get very fast heart rate sometimes ~ 120 bpm. After I switched meds I haven't had the racing heart rate any more.
Like you jason, I try to ignore all these symptoms.  It took me a long time to learn to do this.
Wow, something I thought I was imagining.  For years I have had this! I thought it was just in my mind!

I also get hard palpatations on occasion where I can just be sitting or trying to sleep and my heart is pounding so hard it hurts.  I have been tested, even wore a monitor for a month, but nothing unusual showed up.

This is sooooooooo   wierd!
I didn't know this was a major symptom of Lyme!  Ok, with everything else I have been experiencing for years, I have absolutely no doubt now that I have chronic/late stage Lyme!
Having a pounding feeling when your heart beats while you have Lyme disease is caused by Low Magnesium.  Lyme actually lives off of the body's magnesium and when it gets low, it causes the normal smooth squeezing motion of the heart to be come more like sudden twitches.  this makes you feel like the heart is "pounding"  It can be stopped with magnesium supplementation but it must be done carefully or you could make it worse.  Magnesium Malate is a good choice and most people start with 1000 mg once a day then twice a day, then you should try cutting the pills in half and taking them every two hours.  Be warned that if this is too much for you, you could develop diarrhea which will make your magnesium level even lower.  If you notice yourself starting to get loose stool, then back off for a day or two and cautiously begin to ramp up again.  This has helped alot of people with the pounding hearbeat problem with lyme disease.  You can email me at ***@****
Robb
I've had this exact same problem and do not have Lyme disease, so it can be caused just by low magnesium in general.
I have also had this -- Lyme bacteria apparently use magnesium (Mg) in their reproductive cycle, so they tap into the body's supply and use it, so I've read.

Most Mg in the body is held inside your cells, and if the Mg level in your blood gets too low because the bugs are using it up, then the body takes from the supply inside the cells.  That's why blood levels of Mg are almost always normal on test results, unless the cells' supply gets used up, and then there's nothing for the cells to give to the blood.  Then blood levels of Mg fall.

If that happens, the heart can begin to beat oddly -- it was one of my first Lyme signs and put me into the ER twice, but none of the ER docs caught on.  Mg helps the cells communicate with each other, and if they can't due to low Mg, then the heart beat gets confused.  Low Mg can also cause muscle cramps; I had those too, in my calves.

As Rube2112 says, Mg Malate is well tolerated (if diarrhea results, it means you're taking too much) and I found it helped my sense of well-being, too.  I've also used Epsom salt baths, which are relaxing AND give you Mg, because 'Epsom salts' are actually Mg, so it soaks into your body.

If your doctor isn't concerned about your heart, you might try a little Mg supplementation and work up to the point that you feel better.  You could ask your dr before starting it.

i too experience heart pounding at night, sometimes fast and accompanied with numbness in my hands, especially my pinky and ring finger. does anyone else have this? i'm pretty sure i have lyme( although my test was technically negative) and am being treated for it, but it seems like a slow recovery. how long does it take to start to feeling better? right now i have been 3 months on penecilin shots and azithromycin. sometimes i feel like im doing better, then i have a bad couple days and i get discouraged. any input is appreciated.
Everybody's symptoms are a bit (or a lot) different, and I haven't had what you describe, but that doesn't mean somebody else hasn't.

Were you tested for other possible infections often carried by the same ticks?  Your doc would test based on what symptoms you have.  These other diseases (called co-infections) often need different treatment from Lyme.

It can indeed some time to feel better, and you may also be "Herxing", short for "Herxheimer reaction", which can occur when the antibiotics kill a bunch of bacteria, and the toxins released can cause a worsening of symptoms for a few days.  I'd suggest you ask your doc.

Also, there is another approach to treating Lyme that includes not only bacteria-killers like penicillin and azithromycin, but also Flagyl (generic:  metronidazole) to help penetrate a slimy shield the bacteria create for themselves that protects them from direct action by the penicillin/azithromycin.  You might ask your doc about his/her thinking on that point.  I'm not medically trained, but I've read about that approach and my LLMD used it.

That said, tho, it can still take months to feel better, because Lyme bacteria have a very slow reproductive cycle, and it is when reproducing that the bacteria are weakest and the antibiotics can do the most good.  That is why treatment takes so long, compared to an earache, for example, that needs only a couple of weeks of treatment.

Best wishes to you --
not magnesium only. Lymes uses up all your electrolyes and magnesium is only one of them. sodium barcabonate is one ( take 2-3 tsps. daily ) if needed. Also take some Himalayan salt as well. If you have a racy heart you need antibiotics but before they will even work, while your one them get your electrolytes replaced by taking some of what I just outlined. Don't forget to take some potassium too. Baking soda is the best though. Arm & Hammer. Read the box, it has the directions right on it. -Gary
Old thread so there may not be much play on it.

But I have to tell others reading it, the advice you offered is not supported by valid science. Sorry.