Lyme Disease Community
short terms disability

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

short terms disability

Morning all~
Just wondering if you have taken time off due to lyme? I'm trying to get it so I can heal and be ready to go back to work at the end of August. I'm a teacher and really need my energy to get through the day/

Any thoughts on if you have gotten it, how you achived it?

I would like to go backto work but somehwat scared as my body is just adjusting to meds and still so tired from this.

JKV
I debated taking a leave of absence, but since my treatment was judged to require at least a year, that didn't seem like the best option.

I don't have disability insurance, nor do I have a disability benefit at work.  

What worked for me was to switch from fulltime to partime.  I switched back in Dec. and have no plans in the near future to go back.  I'm also on a flex schedule, so I can work more on good days and less on bad days.  As long as it adds up to a certain number of hours every 2 weeks.  I was also able to keep my benefits, though I pay a bit more for them now.

It has helped a lot.  I get nasty flares and Herxes, and at 8 months into treatment I still have lots of days where my Lyme makes it very difficult to work, even for just an hour or two at a time.  I still take full days off more often than I'd like.

The biggest "snag" in my situation is my position is not permanent, so I feel a ticking clock to get better enough to be on the job market before my job expires.

I was offered to telecommute, but I have such a short driving commute that I'd rather keep my work at work.  But that's another option others may want to consider.  

I would definitely suggest looking into any accommodations your work can make for you while in treatment.  Hopefully, you will make a fast recovery, but any stress you can take off of yourself will help.  

Obviously, I've lost a lot of income in making this choice.  But these days, I hardly stand out for tightening my belt a bit.  I can still pay my rent/bills/treatment.  So while it's a blow to my ego, I get by and know it's made a huge difference to have more time to rest and focus on treatment/recovery.
I wanted to and should have been off but I did not have the option of short-term disability at my job.
If you are talking about short term disability with Social Security I just completed the forms two days ago. I really should have done this months ago. If you want you can send me a message and I can give you more detail. Also found a web site that has advice for those submitting with Lyme disease.
I am on the verge of not being able to perform my job responsibilities and have not been able to adequately for quite some time.   I did not think that Social Security had a short-term disability..could you send me the information you had referred to in your August 2009 about the website you found that has advice for those submitting with Lyme disease?  I am wrong in thinking SS does not have a short-term disability program?  Please advise

***@****
I need to apply fir disability but I am stuck on the application process  My doctors are too busy to be cooperative can you help with that website?
I am sorry to hear you are struggling.

Unfortunately, stephen898 has not posted here for four years.  Perhaps your MD's office could recommend someone to help, or perhaps a social worker at the local social services office?

Sometimes churches may have people who can help also.  If you belong to a church, try asking there.

Best wishes to you --