short terms disability
Morning all~
Just wondering if you have taken time off due to lyme? I'm trying to get it so I can heal and be ready to go back to work at the end of August. I'm a teacher and really need my energy to get through the day/

Any thoughts on if you have gotten it, how you achived it?

I would like to go backto work but somehwat scared as my body is just adjusting to meds and still so tired from this.

JKV
I debated taking a leave of absence, but since my treatment was judged to require at least a year, that didn't seem like the best option.

I don't have disability insurance, nor do I have a disability benefit at work.  

What worked for me was to switch from fulltime to partime.  I switched back in Dec. and have no plans in the near future to go back.  I'm also on a flex schedule, so I can work more on good days and less on bad days.  As long as it adds up to a certain number of hours every 2 weeks.  I was also able to keep my benefits, though I pay a bit more for them now.

It has helped a lot.  I get nasty flares and Herxes, and at 8 months into treatment I still have lots of days where my Lyme makes it very difficult to work, even for just an hour or two at a time.  I still take full days off more often than I'd like.

The biggest "snag" in my situation is my position is not permanent, so I feel a ticking clock to get better enough to be on the job market before my job expires.

I was offered to telecommute, but I have such a short driving commute that I'd rather keep my work at work.  But that's another option others may want to consider.  

I would definitely suggest looking into any accommodations your work can make for you while in treatment.  Hopefully, you will make a fast recovery, but any stress you can take off of yourself will help.  

Obviously, I've lost a lot of income in making this choice.  But these days, I hardly stand out for tightening my belt a bit.  I can still pay my rent/bills/treatment.  So while it's a blow to my ego, I get by and know it's made a huge difference to have more time to rest and focus on treatment/recovery.
I wanted to and should have been off but I did not have the option of short-term disability at my job.
If you are talking about short term disability with Social Security I just completed the forms two days ago. I really should have done this months ago. If you want you can send me a message and I can give you more detail. Also found a web site that has advice for those submitting with Lyme disease.
I am on the verge of not being able to perform my job responsibilities and have not been able to adequately for quite some time.   I did not think that Social Security had a short-term disability..could you send me the information you had referred to in your August 2009 about the website you found that has advice for those submitting with Lyme disease?  I am wrong in thinking SS does not have a short-term disability program?  Please advise

***@****
I need to apply fir disability but I am stuck on the application process  My doctors are too busy to be cooperative can you help with that website?
I am sorry to hear you are struggling.

Unfortunately, stephen898 has not posted here for four years.  Perhaps your MD's office could recommend someone to help, or perhaps a social worker at the local social services office?

Sometimes churches may have people who can help also.  If you belong to a church, try asking there.

Best wishes to you --