swollen ankles, etc
Hi everyone

I went to a zoo the other day and spent the whole day walking in 80 degree heat. After about an hour of walking, the bottom of my feet started to hurt pretty bad. I also got really out of breath walking up some short hills that I can usually walk with no problem. I also noticed both of my ankles (around the bone) was a little swollen when I got home. Today they are not as bad. I was wondering if swollen joints can be a symptom of lyme..I haven't heard much about it. I was also a little dizzy and slightly "out of it" that night. I must have walked a good 5 miles and my calfs were tight when I woke up this morning. I got a little sunburn on my legs and those areas tingled more than usual. Strange stuff!

Does anyone else notice more symptoms after a long day in the heat? I'm feeling pretty good today but the night when I got home wasn't that fun.

-Sarah
I've read others' comments that they don't tolerate heat well since they got Lyme, and I've also read that Lyme hijacks the body's temperature regulatory systems (thyroid etc), so all that might tie together.

Then again, a day out tromping around in hot weather is enough to make anyone's ankles swell.  :)
Joint pain and swelling/effusions certainly can be symptoms of Lyme.  In fact, before it was called "Lyme Disease," it was called "Lyme Arthritis."  Luckily, joint erosion is rare with Lyme!  So while it may feel nasty, permanent damage is unlikely.

As I recall (though my brain is sieve-like and prone to error), "Surruh" is college-aged and athletic/healthy other than this undiagnosed malaise.  So while JackieCalifornia makes a good point that most people would feel worn out from a day's hike around the zoo, based on your age and health reference it may be more worrisome.

My heat intolerance has improved after many months on antibiotics.  However, for a long time, my weird sensory/neuropathy-like symptoms were agitated by heat.  I eventually had tingling in my face, hands, feet constantly.  But the heat would make it go "nuts."  

So, getting into a hot car in the summer would almost instantly cause any tingling to enhance.  If my whole body got hot (exercise or in a hot environment) than all of my tingling would get worse.  If I was cooking and got a burst of steam in my face, or some other local exposure to heat, than only the affected area would experience worsened tingling.
I have heat tingling too...i am wondering is this Lyme or could this be my antibiotics since I am on Doxy twice a day and should not be in heat but I had too...
My heat intolerance started almost a year before I was on antibiotics, and only worsened during that time.  Since starting antibiotics, it improved.  So in my case, I don't see it as a side effect.

HOWEVER, be careful taking doxy, particularly this time of year.  I am not on, nor have I taken, that drug.  But I've read it causes extreme suns sensitivity, to the extent that some doctors won't even Rx it in the summer months!  User patsy10, our community leader, knows more about this than I do so maybe she'll comment or else send her a note/post a new thread to ask about this.
yea I had to go outside because of summer classes (and on nature trails) I did get burned the other day I put a lot of sunblock on the sunburn seems to have now turned into a tan...but yes my skin was very sensitive.