Lyme Disease Community
typing dyslexia and spelling problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

typing dyslexia and spelling problems

Ok, I have always been very good at spelling and typing, but lately I have had some serious issues with getting one line typed without having to backspace and correct. I switch almost every word around and have to go back and correct like crazy. I sometimes will type" becuase "instead of because, or" beleive" instead of believe,, I have even typed" pma", instead of Pam,, that's my own name I am screwing up!!

Anyone else with this problem?? Can people actually have typing dyslexia? Sometimes I am reading the newspaper and have to re-read something because I have switched the word to a different word that makes no sense and when I see it again, I'm like, WOW, why did I think it said sometiing else?
I feel like a dummy sometimes after I re-read all of my mistakes, lol
Pam
Pam,

I think it's due to brain inflammation, and the stress of being ill on top of it.

Sometimes I type stuff and then go back to read it and I swear it's not what I typed OR what I read when I checked it before sending the email.

The good news is that the better you get, the more of your normal brain function will return.  
Mine is from typing too fast now, but before I was like you.
I can't wait to have normal brain function back!! I am so extremely frustrated today.. everyone is sick and of course kids still fight even when they are sick and I just had a moment of rage.. I yelled so loud, now my throat hurts! Ughh,, my kids know that's not me, so they quietly went into their rooms and gave me some time to get my act back together..

I feel bad when I yell at them, but I hate when they put their hands on eachother, I never put my hands on my kids, so when I yell, they know I mean business.. It's nice and quiet in the house now and just waiting for my mom to pick us up to get to the doc's for their appts.

I hope this gets better.. I am just afraid of the "getting worse" phase.

Thanks for listening,
Pam
I tend to be much worse with mistakes in my writing in which I change tense inappropriately, and with mistaking homonyms, or substituting words that sound close to the word I intend, regardless of how far of the meaning may be.

I have no "proof" that my illness is to blame for this, but it is what I believe in my gut.  I think part of it is likely the extreme fatigue I experience.  I try to leave my most technical work for days (or portions of days) when I feel relatively alert, but am not always able to accommodate my symptoms in this way.  It can be very embarrassing.

I would not be above giving a slight shrug and a chuckle, while saying, "Oops!  Glad you caught that!  I have a touch of dyslexia --"  then smile and move on.  

Dyslexia is socially acceptable in a way that Lyme surely ain't.
The post I just wrote to Bny, took me forever because of the mistakes. Also, I repeat myself without even knowing it and then when I am re -reading I'm like,, OMG, here I go again. A 1 liner answer turns into a book! :) LOL
I probably should just go to bed and sleep it all off, :)

Your so right Jackie about the dyslexia being socially acceptable and Lyme isn't, what is up with that?? lol

Have a great night!
Pam

The white matter malfunction in the brain is reponsible for Lyme dyslexia and word association. Gray matter malfunction is Alzheimer’s.

Anyone else have this problem, that was not a issue before? And how soon before it got better on antibiotics?
I can't remember ... I had Lyme brain!!

Seriously, the best description I came up with for my condition was like having the flu AND a hangover at the same time, 24/7.  Minimally functional day to day.  Lost my job and have very little memory of that whole period of time.  

But all better now thanks to an LLMD and antibiotics for Lyme and babesiosis.
Yes, I have it. I still make many typos and read numbers backward but it has improved with treatment.
I was diagnosed w/ lyme meningitis on 9/4.  I was just complaining about my typing/dyslexia to my girlfriend.  This feels crazy.  I also feel as if I have adhd now.  I definitely did not feel this way before I got so sick.  Im sorry you are going thru this, its so frustrating
I also have been having problems writing and typing and reading.  I have been switching letters and sometimes switching words.  What is Lyme meningitis?  I have had so many symptoms over the past 6 years that I began to think it was just part of aging.  But, deep down I knew I shouldn't feel that lousy for mid 30's.  Now, I am suffering neuro-muscular symptoms and am hoping that the LLMD can give me answers.  And a good course of treatment.
Im pretty sure lyme meningitis is stage 3 lyme.  It is a lyme infection in your brain/spinal fluid.  I had optic neuritis  and I have bell palsy still on one side of my face.  My vision is almost back to what it was before my illness.  I still get fatigued easily, am depressed, and am dealing with some cognitive problems I didn't have before.