Lyme Disease Community
what is chronic lyme disease vs. lyme disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

In 2008 I was diagnosed with lyme disease. I was treated with doxycycline and got serious allergic reaction so I was put on amoxycillin for 6 months. I still have severe joint pain my hands lock up and I can't open them without major joint pain. When I wake up I can barely walk the pain in my toe Joints and ankle Joints are so bad. My shouldera, knees, hips I could go on and on. It is all the same pain I had when I was diagnosed with lyme. My Dr. Never retested me for lyme after I finished my course of antibiotics, but can all these symptoms still be from the lyme even if another test was came back negative? I don't know what the "chronic" in chronic lyme disease is.
Sorry to hear you are still suffering --

Doxycycline was, some years ago, the only common treatment for Lyme, but since then, it has been recognized by Lyme specialists that Lyme is harder to kill than regular bacteria for several reasons.

Since you are still having symptoms, I would suggest you go back to the dr who treated you, or perhaps find a new Lyme doc, if the first one wasn't up to date.

You ask if the current symptoms can be from Lyme even though your tests came back negative ... the answer, so I understand from what I read, is yes, because the tests are not very accurate.  The tests are helpful to an MD who understands the imperfections of the tests, but not helpful to docs who are relying only the tests.

Some docs have the opinion that if you have been treated for Lyme and still have symptoms, then it is because your immune system is over-reacting to the now-cured infection and causing the aches and pains.  These docs call it 'post-Lyme syndrome.'  However, Lyme specialists disagree and take the more logical position that if you still have symptoms, then you still have the illness.  'Chronic' Lyme just means that it is past the early, 'acute' phase.  Some people suffer more from the effects of an uncured case of Lyme, depending on one's own immune system and on what co-infections the tick may have carried in addition to Lyme.

I found taking magesium supplements helped my muscle aches and cramps -- any type of magnesium ending in '-ate' -- magnesium malate, orotate, aspartate, whatever.  But be sure to tell your doc you are taking them so s/he can factor that in.

But I would find a Lyme specialist for a work up.  You deserve to feel better.

Best wishes -- let us know if we can help.