Lymphedema Community
Concerned and scared

WELCOME TO THE LYMPHEDEMA COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to Lymphedema, Lymph Abnormalities, Primary/Secondary Lymphedema, Cellulitis, Lipedema, and any other problems or question members may have concerning Lymphatic matters.

Concerned and scared

I have some questions and need some answers please.  I have a "lump" in my right supraclavicular region that has been there for the past 16 months.  It is painful when touched and sometimes I go through "flare ups" where it is painful period.  It also causes pain in my neck on the right side, my right shoulder joint aches, and I sometimes have tenderness in the chest wall below that shoulder.  I have been to the Dr. and have been diagnosed with Lupus but I do not think or feel this is related.  He ordered a MRI that came back "reactive lymph node approximately 1cm" and I was then sent for a CT scan.  That came back "previous nodes not detected" however the lump has not gone away this whole time.  I am terrified of cancer because I watched my father die of it (melanoma), and I worry myself sick.  I have fatigue (I was diagnosed with lupus) all the time, my right shoulder hurts pretty much all of the time, my "lump" in that shoulder is tender all of the time, and when I use my right arm (which is my dominant arm) it makes it sore and hurt all the more.

Is it possible it is cancer after being there for over a year and not having any other "lumps" appear anywhere else.  I do not think it has necessarily "grown", it appears to be the same.  You can feel it more when I flex my shoulder muscle and pull my shoulder back.  It is right above the hollow in my right shoulder.  I have had a mamogram (mammogram) because I did have swollen lymph nodes under my right arm as well, those went down with treatment of Plaquenil for my Lupus.
This last year has been hell on me because I worry myself sick with this one lump in my shoulder and every symptom I get that is pointed to Lupus makes me paranoid that it may be a cancer symptom.  I have been to the Dr so many times and he keeps telling me it is a Lupus thing.  I am scared to death.

Thanks for all of your help.
Hi!

I can understand your apprehensions. Usually a reactive lymph node is benign. However, supraclavicular lymphadenopathy (lymphnode in area between collar bone and jaw) is worrisome. Especially the ones larger than 1cm in diameter should be investigated thoroughly for cancers and granulomatous diseases. The right supraclavicular area receives drainage from the organs in chest. Hence, you should be thoroughly investigated for tuberculosis, sarcoidosis, histoplasmosis, cat scratch disease and cryptococcosis.
If the lymph node is more than 1 cm then it should be thoroughly investigated for cancer too. Please discuss this with your doctor.  Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.