Lymphedema Community
Leg Lymphedema

WELCOME TO THE LYMPHEDEMA COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to Lymphedema, Lymph Abnormalities, Primary/Secondary Lymphedema, Cellulitis, Lipedema, and any other problems or question members may have concerning Lymphatic matters.

Leg Lymphedema

In january I dropped a cement slab on my leg, it only grazed it. But since March-Easter, I have had severe pain in my leg, now with swelling. Doctor says I have pitting edema, has ruled out DVT, with dopplar and xray. The swelling has gone into my ankle now, and the pain is like a burning sensation. The swelling reduces a little over night, but is back up again as soon as I walk around in the morning. When it is at its most painful, even a sheet on my leg irritates it. I have consistent swollen lymph nodes, groin, under arm, and back of my head, plus under my chin. Does this sound like lymphedema and should I get a second opinion. All my gp did was write a referral fr a rheumatologist.
Hi!
Swollen lymph nodes across multiple areas or generalized lymphadenopathy can be due to viral infections such as mono or EBV or cytomegalovirus or due to bacterial infections like TB.  HIV or AIDS, leukemia, lymphomas and other cancers can also be a cause. This could also be due to inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.

Since you have  pitting edema in leg that comes on and off I think you may have deep vein thrombosis of the deep veins of the leg or maybe valvular dysfunction of the deep veins of the legs (even if it has been ruled out by your doctor, the possibility remains). This can be diagnosed by color Doppler or by angiogram of the leg veins or by duplex ultrasound. High blood pressure, kidney dysfunction, diabetes and hypothyroidism should be ruled out as well. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult your vascular and medicine specialist for this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.